Part 25

'Do you seriously want me to cancel the compulsion and watch you run into Stefan's arms?' Klaus was losing control over his feelings and his eyes started filling with tears of anger, disappointment and hopelessness. 'I'm supposed to watch your moving happy-end and stay alone?' He impatiently wiped a tear off his cheek. 'I've been waiting for my happy end for a thousand years. And now that I've found you, I won't let you go just like that. I'd have to be a fool to do it.'
Elena lay her hand on his shoulder. 'But I'm not going anywhere. I don't want to. I only want to be the old Elena. And if it makes your decision any easier... The old Elena had some feelings for you, too.'
Klaus' senses sharpened. 'Really?'
'Yeah. You can compell me to tell you the truth. I swear there is no vervain in my system.'
Klaus slowly shook his head. 'I trust you.'
'And I trust you. I know you're going to do the right thing.' She interweaved her fingers with his and she added: 'You can compell me to do anything. I'm just hoping that you'll choose what's good for me. Because that's what a person does when they love someone. They do what's good for the one they love. Not what's good for themselves.'
Klaus was getting tired of this etiquette lecture. 'Stop lecturing me, Elena. You're beautiful and I love you, but I'm not used to people meddling in my decisions. I have to lead every battle my way - and I win.'
'But this is not a battle, Klaus,' objected Elena in a serious voice. 'Love is not a battle. It's right the opposite. Love fights everything else. Fate and its adversity.'
'What you're describing here... that's you and Stefan. That's your love. The love you can find in textbooks.' Klaus got upset. 'I don't want to listen to this anymore.'
'All right,' nodded Elena. 'You can compell me to stay quiet forever. It's up to you.'
Elena looked into his eyes with trust and determination to show him that she was ready.