Part 27

Elena got home where Stefan had been waiting for her, but she didn't communicate with him at all; she walked past him and she went upstairs to her room. She took off her coat and sweatshirt, then she grabbed her diary and a pen, sat by the window and without realising why she was doing it, she started writing.
It took her a while, she more or less just let her hand run on the paper; the words formed somewhere deep in her mind - or heart - and she had no control over their flow.
As soon as she wrote the last dot, she mechanically pulled out her phone and dialled Klaus' number. He answered it after the first ring.
'Elena?'
'I'm finished,' she said obediently. 'I've written down everything I feel, as you wanted, and now I'm calling to read it to you.'

'OK,' Klaus said, his voice quite shaky due to his tense awaiting. 'Go ahead.'
So Elena took a deep breath and started reading.
'Dear diary,
it's crazy, but I'm a vampire. And I hate it. I've hurt many people and I'm unhappy. I wish I could take it back. Becoming a vampire was the dumbest decision of my human life. But that's gone now. I'm a different person; nevertheless, I feel like some things haven't changed. My obsession with Klaus, for example.' On the other side of the line, Klaus got more alert. 'I don't know what to think of him. At first I thought he was frightful and twisted and EVIL. But then I discovered his secret, gentle side, and I realised that he's capable of love. And that gave me the courage and above all the hope that I'd be able to remain a loving creature, despite the fact that my primary instinct is to kill now. And back to the topic concerning Klaus - I'm not able to be mad at him for changing me, because it was purely my decision. Besides, I don't want to regret anything and I don't want to blame anyone. I'd have to become insane. In any case, I've forgiven Klaus.' Klaus breathed out with relief. 'And even though it worries me and shocks me, I feel like I'm losing all the hatred for him and I'm starting to fall for his charm. I don't know if our love has a chance. But I know that if Klaus is capable of loving me, I'm capable of loving in general. And if I'm capable of loving Klaus, then I'm capable of absolutely anything, including self-control. By that I mean my hunger. I'm not intending to control my feelings. I have to tell Klaus now, although it's going to be terribly awkward and what I want to do most is to tear out this page and burn it so nobody can ever find out that I have feelings for that awful, scary, diabolical Klaus.'
Klaus was all overcome with joy, whereas Stefan, who, without Elena noticing him, as she was still under Klaus' compulsion, was standing in her room, looked as if he was going to pass out any second. 'You have feelings for Klaus.' In that moment the compulsion was over and Elena swiftly shook her head and looked at devastated Stefan. She was still holding her phone to her ear. She hung up and looked at Stefan's martyred face, feeling guilty. 'What have you just said?' she asked, confused.
'I think you should read what you've written in your diary,' muttered Stefan. 'Excuse me, I need to spend some time alone, I need some fresh air.' And he disappeared.
Elena looked down to the page full of words and she started reading.