Part 28

As soon as Elena finished reading her diary, she suddenly woke up from trance and she realised that Stefan had witnessed all of it. In the meantime, he had come back, he was crying and looking at her in utter desperation, which made her eyes fill up with tears, too. 'Stefan,' she sighed out sorrowfully. 'I'm so sorry.'
She walked towards him, but then she made a step back because she didn't want to cause him any more pain. 'I guess you should go,' she said at the end, feeling abashed. 'Or you know what, I'll go.' She slipped around him and she headed nowhere else than to the Mikaelson residence. But before she got there, she met Klaus halfway there. He was on his way to her house.
'Klaus,' she whispered, a bit scared, a bit guilty and a bit in love.
'Elena,' he whispered back and he grabbed her in his arms.
'How could this happen?' asked Elena, confused.
'How could what happen?'
'Me... falling in love with you?'
'Does it make you unhappy?' wondered Klaus.
'I've told you on the phone! I'm not unhappy, just... confused.'

'We are vampires,' Klaus reminded her with a little grin. 'We have forever to figure out how this happened and what it even is.'
'But I already know what it is,' sighed Elena and then she smiled. 'There's no point in resisting it now that I've already blabbed out everything on the phone.'
'So what is it then?' asked Klaus, although he knew what the answer would be.
'Love, of course,' replied Elena, and even though she was all trembling and she still didn't understand why she was doing this and couldn't believe she was doing it, she pressed her lips on Klaus' in a passionate kiss.