Part 61

Damon opened the door, wearing just his pants, holding his black shirt in his hand. Elena had known him for too long for that to surprise her, so she did not even comment on it, she simply brushed by him and went to take a seat on the sofa in the living room.
'To what do I owe the pleasure of your unexpected visit?' asked Damon mockingly and he put on his shirt. 'Did Klaus break your precious little heart and you've come here to cry on your fairy godmother's shoulder?'
'I'd rather talk to Stefan,' said Elena. 'Is he at home?'
'Unfortunately not,' Damon shook his head. 'I'll have to do.'
Elena sighed, but the answers were too tempting, so she decided that Damon would be enough. 'You're right, it's about Klaus, but it's not what you're thinking. Everything's completely OK with him,' she announced much more certainly than she felt. She didn't want to give Damon any reason to make fun of her or, even worse, tell her that he'd been right. 'It seems that something's not OK with me though... And I know for sure that it's Bonnie's job. She did some kind of a spell so that I couldn't stop thinking about Stefan, didn't she?' Damon's expression was telling enough for her to see that she wasn't wrong. 'I knew it! But I know that she would never do anything to me by herself. You dragged her into this, didn't you?'
'All three of us just wanted to help you,' Damon frowned at her. 'It's not our fault that you're acting like a goofy teenager drooling over an older tough guy!'
'Stop it! I love Klaus! And even if I were acting like a goofy teenager, don't forget that that's exactly who I am! I have the right to fall in love with anybody, to be happy and unhappy, to laugh and cry, to have fun and to suffer, just feel all those intense emotions, which simply belong to growing up... But you... You tried to manipulate me, confuse me even more so that I wouldn't be able to follow what my heart really wanted! I'll never forgive you for that!' Elena couldn't stay seated anymore; she jumped up on her feet and marched around Salvatores' living room. Flashes were almost coming out of her eyes. 'Tell Bonnie that she needs to break that curse, otherwise...'
'I think you've just broken it,' someone said behind her back. She turned around in surprise and saw Bonnie, whom she hadn't even heard coming due to her rage. 'By revealing that it exists in the first place... It's obvious that in the end, the love you have for Klaus won and you managed to defy my spell.'
'What?' Elena winked in shock.
'It's over,' sighed Bonnie, looking resigned. 'You love Klaus... and there is no other way for us to prevent you from that.'
'That's true, we've probably tried absolutely everything already,' agreed Damon, who still hadn't buttoned up his shirt due to being too paralysed by Elena's exasperated monologue.
'So... you'll let us be?' Elena made sure, sliding with her eyes from Damon to Bonnie and back. 
'Not in the slightest! We'll keep an eye on you - especially on him!' Damon warned her, but one corner of his mouth was twitching in a waggish smile.
'Especially on you,' Bonnie corrected him; she hesitatingly approached Elena and took her hands in hers. 'I know that you're mad at me, but you must understand that I only did because I was worried about you and I meant to protect you.'
'And I hope that you know  I would never hurt you,' replied Elena and she pulled her friend closer in a friendly hug.
'You wouldn't, but Klaus would.'
'He would be capable of that, yes, but that doesn't mean he will do it. We've all done terrible things. But we've made peace with it. What's in the past should stay in the past and what comes next is important.'

'Elena, I'd be so happy if you were right. Promise me that you'll at least be careful,' Bonnie asked her with her eyebrow significantly raised.
'I promise,' Elena rolled her eyes.
'Oh damn, where are those times when your biggest boy trouble concerned Matt?' complained Bonnie and Elena burst into sincere laughter.
'Those times are gone. I'm not that girl anymore.'

And she really wasn't.