Chapter 4: Drunken Shenanigans [EDITED]

The obnoxious ringing of her cell phone wakes Jean from the dream of a past memory. She reaches for her phone on the bedside table and flips it open. She brings it up to her ear and mumbles "Hello?"

"Jean? It's Bobby." Jean grunts as a reply, "I need your help. I've got a case with a possible shōjō...."

Jean sits straight up, wide awake now. She practically shouts, "Debs on being the one who gets to get drunk!"

On the other end of the line, Bobby lets out a noise of annoyance before responding. "Fine. Just get yer idjit ass to my place...pronto." Bobby hangs up and Jean chuckles.

She gets up off the bed and walks into the bathroom to take a quick shower. Afterwards, she gathers her things and leaves the motel room. She places her bags into the trunk of her Mustang then makes her way to the front office to check out.

After suffering through some extremely awkward flirting from the little old man who owns the dingy motel, Jean climbs inside her car and starts the engine. She starts to put the car into drive but stops and clicks the radio off, temporarily tired of classic rock. She plugs in her iPod, the one modern modification in the classic car other than the engine. She pushes play on her P!nk playlist and sings along as 'Waiting for Love' blares through the speakers.

*******

Three hours later, she arrives at Singer's Auto Salvage in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. She pulls into the driveway and parks behind one of the broken down pieces of junk that used to be an automobile. She kills the engine, grabs her iPod, then gets out of her car. She walks to the trunk, opens it with the special key she had made; which is the only way to open it; and grabs her duffel bag. She turns to her car one last time and checks to make sure she locked her baby.

Satisfied, Jean begins to walk up to Bobby's back door. A loud, happy bark makes her stop and look up. Standing on the hood of a beat up truck in front of her and wagging his stub of a tail, is Bobby's rottweiler, Rumsfeld. She smiles and scratches him behind the ears before continuing on. She opens the door and walks into the disaster of a kitchen. Normally if she walked into a house and it was as messy as this she would assume that a fight had occurred, but she knows that this is just how Bobby lives. "Hey, Bobby! I'm here! Are you ready to go?!"

The older hunter comes into the kitchen carrying a couple of duffel bags and wearing his usual attire: worn out jeans, a plaid button up shirt with a vest over it, and an old trucker's hat. He has a round face with a thick brown beard; which is beginning to show some grey; and blue-grey eyes. "Yeah. Let's go." They leave the house together and climb into Bobby's 1972 Chevy pickup.

After eight hours of driving, Bobby and Jean finally arrive in the small town of Hopkins, Michigan at around eight p.m. Bobby pulls into a cheap, rundown motel called The Green Comet Inn. Jean scoffs and stats, "More like The Green Vomit Inn."

Bobby grunts in agreement and says, "Suck it up, Princess."

Jean scowls and calls out to him as he begins to walk towards the office to get them a room, "Don't call me Princess! You know I don't like that nickname!"

Bobby walks into the office and five minutes later, he walks back outside, pulls the truck keys from his pocket and tosses them to Jean. "Go to the liquor store we passed on the way here and get whatever you want."

"Yippee!" Jean exclaims and jumps into the driver's side of the truck. She starts the truck and is beginning to back out of the parking space when she notices that Bobby is yelling something at her. She rolls the window down and shouts, "What?!"

Bobby shouts back, "Room 132, ya idjit!"

She grins and drives out of the motel parking lot. She makes her way back to the liquor store that she and Bobby passed on their way through the town to The Green Comet Inn. She pulls into the parking lot of Rick & Morton's Liquor store and gets out of the truck.