Chapter 5: Tragedy [EDITED]

A few days have passed since Jean's drunken phone call to Sam, and Bobby has hardly let her out of his sight; always managing to find some excuse as to why she needs to stick around. At first, Bobby was just annoying to Jean; always asking her to help him with the simplest of tasks or asking where she's going and insisting on going with her. When she did manage to go somewhere alone, Bobby would call her every thirty minutes. That's when Bobby truly started to get on Jean's nerves and she would frequently lose her temper and snap at him. However, when they heard about the deaths of Caleb and Pastor Jim, a few hours ago, Bobby absolutely refuses to let her go anywhere alone.

Pastor Jim was always one of Jean's favorite people and one of the few non-family members that she fully trusted. She remembers the time, shortly after her and Dean's eighteenth birthday, when she was having horrible recurring nightmares of this man; at least she thought it was a man, she could never get a good look at him; with glowing crimson eyes. He would reach out for Jean but could never actually touch her; this caused the man to become infuriated and frustrated. He would then try to speak to her but all that she could hear was a high pitched shrieking noise with a few clear words in English; the most frequent being Jean and mine. His anger would swell once he realizes that Jean couldn't fully understand him and his anger would overwhelm her. She would then wake up and become incredibly violent for no reason. She had actually attacked both of her brothers once. When she attacked Dean, he sort of deserved it for making fun of the fact that she had a nightmare. She thoroughly kicked his ass and their father kept a close eye on her after that. When she attacked Sammy, however, he didn't deserve it; he had only been asking if she was okay after she had the nightmare three nights in a row. She had punched Sammy and nearly broken his nose. That's when John decided to leave Jean with Pastor Jim until she 'gets her shit together'.

She spent three months with Pastor Jim during which he taught her different meditation techniques to help control her anger. The first month was very hard on both Jean and Pastor Jim, with the dream occurring almost every night, but once she got the hang of the meditation processes things went much more smoothly and the dream's frequency eventually slowed. She finally managed to get her anger under control, at least to the point where she wasn't violently lashing out, after three months. In the fourth month, the dreams almost completely came to a stop and Jean was allowed to return to her family.

The dream returned in full force on her twenty-first birthday, but since she had already left to hunt on her own, it wasn't as big of a deal. As a matter of fact, she still has the dream on occasion.

Currently, Bobby and Jean are sitting at a booth in a small restaurant about two hours away from Sioux Falls. They're returning to Bobby's after following up on a possible vengeful spirit case. As it turned out, it was just a psychotic human case. You know; the husband's cheating on his wife, but the mistress wants him all to herself and tries to convince him to leave his wife. He promises her he will but never does, so the mistress pushes the wife down a flight of stairs, killing her. After discovering the truth, Jean put together all the evidence they had discovered and dropped it off at the police station. She and Bobby then hightailed it out of there.

Jean is yanked out of her memories by Bobby kicking her in the shin. She looks around startled and sees a waitress standing by their table looking at her with a worried expression on her face. "Are you alright, hun?"

Jean puts on her best fake smile and replies, "Yeah, sorry about that. I'll have the bacon double cheeseburger with fries and a coke."

The waitress writes down her order then leaves. As soon as she's gone, Bobby asks Jean, "Are you sure you're okay?"

Jean nods as she reaches into her jacket pocket, removes a hard candy, unwraps it, and pops it into her mouth. "Yeah, just remembering Pastor Jim." The waitress returns with their drinks; placing a Coke in front of Jean and a cup of black coffee in front of Bobby. The waitress leaves again and Bobby discretely removes a flask from his vest pocket and pours a little whiskey into his cup. Jean raises an eyebrow at him, "Really?"