Chapter 17: A (Mostly) Normal Life. [EDITED]

A couple of days later, Jean pulls into the driveway of Nick's house and parks her Mustang next to his old Dodge truck.  As she's getting out of her car, the front door of the house opens and Nick steps out.  He let's out a low whistle in appreciation as he approaches Jean and her car.  "You didn't tell me that you have a '68 Mustang."

     Jean smirks at him, "That's because I didn't want you to love me for my car."  She walks to the trunk, opens it, and picks up her three duffel bags.  "Her name is Sally, by the way.  I rebuilt her from scrap myself."

     Nick raises an eyebrow in amusement, "Really?  Mustang Sally?"

     "Yep," Jean closes the trunk and turns to face Nick.

     Nick looks at Jean more carefully, noting the dark shadows under her bloodshot eyes and how her clothes hang loosely from her frame.  She looks like she's on the brink of collapsing.  He frowns, "How are you doing Jean?"

     Jean shrugs, "Haven't been able to sleep much because I've been having nightmares.  Other than that...I'm excited about moving in."  She gives Nick a small smile before adjusting the straps of the three bags slung over her shoulders into a more comfortable position. 

     Nick asks her, "Is that all of your belongings or is there a moving truck coming?"

     "Nope, this is everything I own.  Being on the road all the time, I never really owned a lot of things."

     Nick's frown deepens, "We'll have to get you some more clothes."

     Jean yawns loudly, "Can we do it some other time?  I'm exhausted."

     Nick wraps an arm around Jean's waist, "Of course.  I've cleared out a couple of dresser drawers in the bedroom and made some space in the closet.  Why don't you put your things away then try to get some sleep.  Meanwhile, I'll start dinner and wake you when it's done."

     "Sounds great."  She kisses him on the lips before saying, "Although I have to warn you that if you're not careful, you're gonna spoil me."

     Nick laughs and releases Jean before opening the front door and allowing her to enter first.  While Nick heads for the kitchen to decide what to cook for dinner, Jean walks up the stairs to the master bedroom.  The master bedroom is large, but sparsely decorated.  There's a queen sized bed opposite of the door with two small oak nightstands on both sides of the bed.  A long oak dresser is pushed up against the left wall next to a set of sliding glass doors that lead out to a small balcony.  There are long white curtains that cover the balcony doors along with white vertical blinds.  On the right wall are two doors, one that leads to a bathroom and the other a small walk-in closet.  Jean sets her bags down on top of the queen sized bed on before opening the bag with all of her miscellaneous items in it and pulling out a piece of white chalk.  Taking advantage of being alone, she gets down on the wood floor and squeezes herself underneath the bed.  She quickly draws a perfect Devil's Trap then slides back out.  Just because she's no longer hunting doesn't mean that she isn't going to be cautious.  She stands up and starts to unpack her things; putting her underwear in a dresser drawer and hanging her clothes in the closet.

     Jean has just finished putting the last of her clothing away when a pair of arms wrap around her waist from behind.  She jumps slightly, but relaxes when she reminds herself that it's just Nick.  She smiles as he begins to kiss her neck, "Are you almost done?"

     She picks up her bag of various bathroom items, "Almost, I just need to put this stuff in the bathroom."  She pulls out a bag of maxi pads and she hears Nick groan.  "Oh, don't worry.  It's not yet time for me to change into my alter ego, the evil Crimson Surfer.  This is just where I used to hide my candy from Dean."  She puts her hand into the open bag then pulls out two full sized chocolate bars.  "It's the only place he would never dare to look."  She stares down at the chocolate with a heartbreaking look of sadness on her face.