Chapter 23: Abandon All Hope...[EDITED]

Jean is woken up early the next morning by the ringing of her cell phone. She goes to roll over on her other side so that she can reach over and pick up the phone, but a pair of arms stop her. She cracks an eye open and sees Lucifer staring at her. "Good morning, love," he kisses her briskly on the lips.

"Morning, beloved. Hand me my phone please." She says while nuzzling her head against his chest.

"Ignore it. We have to talk."

Jean groans when she remembers what Lucifer told her last night. "And we will...right after I see what Bobby wants." She tells her ugear while rolling over in his arms then reaching for her phone.

Lucifer frowns at Jean's obvious attempt at avoiding talking about her pregnancy. "How do you know that it's Singer calling?"

"Because he's the only one with Johnny Cash as a ringtone." She tells him before answering the phone. "Hi, Bobby. What's up?"

"That idjit Garth went after a succubus alone," Bobby tells her, sounding very agitated. Jean is fully awake now, "You're the closest female hunter to him so will you go and save his dumb ass?"

Jean runs a hand through her hair, "Yeah. Where is he?"

"Vincent, Tennessee. Do you remember how to kill a succubus?"

"Iron knife dipped in fresh holy water straight through the heart in the victim's dream, right?"

"Right. I don't know how long he has before the succubus drains him, so you might wanna hurry. You got any African Dream Root?"

"I think so."

"Good. Last time I spoke to Garth he said he was stayin' at The Solomon Hotel. And be careful, Jean. A succubus makes everything in the dream real."

"Trust me, Bobby, I will be careful." She tells him before hanging up.

Jean sighs and removes Lucifer's arms from around her. She sits up, "I have to go and save a friend of mine." Lucifer's frown deepens, "Don't worry, we can talk while I get ready."

She stands up and so does Lucifer. She starts to walk towards the bathroom when Lucifer's hand grabs her arm, stopping her in her tracks. She turns back around to look at him only to find him standing in front of her. "I don't want you to hunt anymore."

Jean raises an eyebrow at her ugear, "Oh, is that what we're gonna do today, we're gonna fight?"

"You can't hunt while you're pregnant, Jean."

Jean stiffens and frowns at Lucifer, "There's that p-word again."

"You can't just ignore this, Jean." Lucifer snaps at her, his body tense in anger at his mate's behavior.

"I'm not ignoring it, Luci. It just hasn't fully sunk in yet. I don't know anything about being a mother," Jean's face pales and she sits back down on the bed. She rests her elbows on her knees then covers her face with her hands. "I'm not ready for this."

Lucifer sits down beside her and pulls her into his arms. "You're not going to be going through this alone, Jean. I will be by your side the entire time, my love." He begins to purr again in order to soothe his etam.

Jean buries her face into Lucifer's chest and, for several minutes, listens to his calming broken rumbling. She then pulls away slightly so that she can look him in the eyes, "Why didn't you tell me that you were trying to knock me up?"

Lucifer tilts his head in confusion, "I don't understand what you mean by 'knock you up'."

Jean giggles a little at the expression of confusion on his face; the look is remarkably similar to Castiel's. "What I meant was: why didn't you warn me that I was most likely going to become pregnant when I went into estrus?"