Chapter 6: Please Don't Leave Me [EDITED]

Jean drives almost nonstop for nearly five hours in complete silence. The few times that she does stop is for gas or to use the restroom. Granted when she goes inside of the convenience store to pay for the gas, her sweet tooth gets the better of her and she buys a few candy bars.

On the passenger seat beside her, Jean's cell phone rings, breaking the intense silence within the car. She picks it up, glances at the caller ID, then answers it. "Sam, how's Dean? Any change?"

"Unfortunately, no. He's still in a coma," Sam's voice is strained and full of grief. "Where are you? How long until you arrive?"

"Actually, I just pulled into the hospital's parking lot. Bobby's about an hour behind me and if you want, you can take my car to meet him later." She pulls into a parking space and turns the Mustang's engine off. "That is if you're okay to drive."

Jean opens the driver's side door and gets out of her car as Sam replies, "Yeah, I'm fine Jean."

"I'm sure you're about ready to get away from dad for a little while if you two are still at each other's throats like you used to be." Jean begins walking towards the hospital.

Sam lets out a soft chuckle, "Thanks Jean. You've always understood me."

'"Maybe...or maybe I just know how absolutely irritating dad can be." Realizing that she has forgotten something important inside her car, Jean stops and returns to her car. On the other end of the line, she can hear the deep rumbling voice of her father speaking to Sam, however, she can't make out what he's saying.

As she's opening the passenger side door of her Mustang, she can hear Sam's reply to John, "It's Jean." There's more rumbling from John, "She just pulled into the parking lot. I'm going to meet her at the entrance." While Sam is talking to John, Jean reaches inside of her car and picks up three full-sized candy bars from the passenger seat. She shoves the candy bars into the pockets of her leather jacket then shuts the car door and re-locks it. Sam's voice comes back over the phone, speaking to her once again, "Jean, which entrance are you heading towards?"

"Umm," Jean looks around for a hospital entrance sign and finally spots one. "Meet me at the south entrance, Sammy." She hangs up and briskly walks into Shiloh County Hospital.

Entering the lobby, Jean stands to her full height to make sure her moose of a little brother can easily find her; even though Sam always told her he could easily find her by her bright fiery hair. She doesn't have to wait for very long before she sees a tall man with shaggy brown hair enter the lobby. His right eye is swollen and bruised, and there are scratches scattered across his face.

A large smile breaks across Jean's face as she sets her eyes on her little brother for the first time in years. "Sam!" She calls out and the man's head turns in her direction and his green eyes meet her own. She rushes over to Sam and embraces him in a hug. "I've missed you, Sammy." When they pull away from each other, they both have large smiles on their faces.

"I've missed you too, Jeanie. What's it been...five years?" Sam asks, his eyes scanning over his older sister. "You've changed."

Jean chuckles, "It's been almost six years. And so have you...." She reaches up and grabs a lock of Sam's hair, "I see your winter coat is coming in beautifully."

Sam scoffs, " I am not a moose." He turns and begins to make his way over to the reception desk so that Jean can sign the visitor sheet.

Jean begins to follow him as she playfully remarks, "Of course not. You're a Samsquatch." When they reach the reception area the nurse behind the desk hands her the sign-in sheet and Jean signs it 'Emma McGillicutty'. The nurse then hands her a visitor badge and Jean clips it to her green and gray flannel button-up shirt. She then turns to Sam, "Lead the way Sammy. And along the way perhaps you can catch me up to speed on what happened."