Chapter 9: I See Wings of Blue...[EDITED]

The next few months are really rough for the Winchesters. While Sam and Dean are hunting a shapeshifter in Milwaukee, they are accused of robbing a bank and taking hostages.  Meanwhile, Jean is a few states over in the middle of practically nowhere hunting a wendigo alone.  She manages to roast it, but not before the wendigo inflicts serious claw wounds to her back.

     For weeks Jean is forced to sit on the sidelines by Bobby, who insists that she recovers before she starts hunting again.  So while Sam and Dean are out risking their lives to save other people's, Jean is forced to lie on a bed on her stomach to allow her wounds to heal with only bottles of whiskey for the pain.  After a month, Jean finally manages to sneak out of Bobby's and rejoin her brothers.

**********************

     The sensation of falling startles Jean awake from a deep sleep.  As she's falling off the edge of the bed, Jean flails her arms wildly, trying to keep herself from falling.  She lands on the floor of the motel room with a loud thud accompanied by laughter from the bed she just fell out of.  Dean's head appears over the edge of the bed, "Rise and shine, Jeanie!"  Cursing, Jean reaches up and grabs Dean then pulls him over the edge and to the floor where the two immediately begin to wrestle.

     The door to the motel room opens and Sam walks inside carrying two paper sacks of fast food.  Sam sees his older siblings wrestling around on the floor and chuckles.  "Really?  I can't leave you two alone for ten minutes, can I?"  Sam watches, in amusement, as the two twins wrestle for a couple of minutes before saying, "I have breakfast burgers."

     Jean and Dean shout, "Food!" and Jean releases Dean from a headlock.  She stands up and starts to walk over to Sam, but Dean wraps his arms around Jean's calves, locking her legs together and causing her to fall forward.  "Me first!"  Dean shouts, getting to his feet and rushing past Jean before she can retaliate.  Dean grabs one of the bags from Sam and pulls out a breakfast burger as Jean is getting to her feet.

     She joins her brothers at the table in the kitchen part of their hotel room and Sam hands her the other paper bag.  "Jerk," she says to Dean as she removes the burger from the bag.

     "Bitch," Dean automatically replies through a mouthful of food.  Jean punches his bicep, "Ow!"

     Sam rolls his eyes at them then walks over to one of the beds and sits down with his laptop.  He opens the laptop and after a few minutes of checking online newspapers, Sam says to his siblings, "I think I've found a case.  A professor at Springfield University in Ohio fell from the fourth floor of Crawford Hall."

     "Okay, so the guy was depressed and decided to take a nosedive.  Why is this our problem?"  Jean insensitively asks.

     "Whoa!  Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," Dean says and chuckles at his own joke.  Jean punches him on the arm again, "Ow!  Will you stop hitting me?!"

     "Only when you stop saying stupid things."

     Sam shakes his head in exasperation of his siblings' shenanigans.  "Guys?  Can we get back to talking about the case?"

     Jean turns to Sam, "Yeah, sure Sammy.  Please continue."

     "So professor Arthur Cox taught a class on ethics and morality and from what I could find there wasn't any reason for him to be depressed.  The man was tenured, had a wife and kids, and he had a book published that ended up being a best seller."

     Jean and Dean frown and Dean states, "Okay, that is weird....Sounds like the guy had it made.  So why would he kill himself?"

     Sam shrugs, "My thoughts exactly.  And that's not the only strange thing to happen at that university.  I found another article from a few days before the professor died about a student named Bobby Lanker.  Apparently, this Lanker guy was a bully;  he stole other students' lunches, shoved smaller students into lockers, and things like that.  Nobody knows how it happened, but he, uh, got stuck...in a honey tree."