Chapter 24: Welcome Home (Sanitarium) [EDITED]

Dean is behind the wheel of Baby with Sam in the passenger seat, and a very solemn Castiel in the backseat. They have been driving in complete silence for over an hour. Finally, Sam breaks the tense silence, "So, what are we gonna do, Dean?"

Dean doesn't respond immediately, thinking carefully about his twin sister and the situation she's gotten herself in. "I vote we go to Tijuana and spend every dime we have on booze and beautiful senoritas."

"Dean..."

"I mean, we tried to kill the Devil and couldn't, so why not spend the rest of the time we have left enjoying ourselves?"

"That's not what I meant, Dean. What are we gonna do about Jean? She's pregnant with Lucifer's child."

The eldest Winchester's grip tightens on the steering wheel, "Nothing."

Sam looks at Dean in shock, "Nothing?! How can we not do anything about this, Dean?!"

"Because there really isn't anything we can do about it, Sam."

"We can lock her up in Bobby's basement until we can figure something out."

"I would advise against that," Castiel says.

"Why?" asks Sam.

"Because Lucifer wouldn't be able to get to her."

"That's kind of the point, Cass."

Castiel shakes his head, "You don't understand, Sam. If Lucifer is kept away from Jean, he would go into a rage, spreading death and destruction until Jean is back by his side."

"If Jean is that important to him, why hasn't he taken her somewhere where only he can get to her?" Dean asks.

"I'm not sure. Most likely because he either doesn't trust demons around her now that she's with child or because Jean wants to be around you two and he wants her to be happy."

"Yeah, I can't see the last one being the reason," Sam grumbles.

"It's very possible. Because of the bond between en ugear and en etam, Lucifer will feel things for Jean he normally wouldn't feel for anyone."

"What about the God Squad? Now that Jean's carrying Lucifer's kid will they try to kill her?" Dean asks Castiel.

"If the baby had been conceived before they had bonded, yes. Then the baby would have been born a nephilim. But since the baby was conceived after they bonded, the baby will be a fledgling."

"What's the difference?" Dean asks.

"Nephilim are half human and half angel while a fledgling is full angel."

"Then wouldn't it be a nephilim and not a fledgling?" asks Sam.

"No. When Lucifer bonded his grace to Jean's soul, she became more angel than human. So the baby will be born a fledgling."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a sec. Are you freakin' pulling my leg? Jean has wings now?!" Dean says.

Castiel tilts his head, "I am not 'pulling your leg'. Such an action would be uncomfortable for the both of us. Especially since you are driving."

Dean looks at Castiel in the rearview mirror in disbelief, "It was just a figure of speech, Cass."

"Oh. To answer your question, no. Jean doesn't have wings and can't fly, but she has stopped aging."

"I thought that the angels despised Lucifer, so why wouldn't they try to kill his fledgling?" Sam asks the angel.

"Because fledglings are very rare even when God was still in Heaven. Since he's been gone, there hasn't been any created at all. Jean's baby will be the first fledgling in many millennia and angels will instinctively protect it, even if Lucifer is the father."