Chapter 4

The next couple of days I continued to my normal routine of diet and exercise. I knew I was going to be on the hardest part of my journey. I needed to reach my weight goal, and I had to develop a more positive attitude to match my new look. That was the hardest part of my mission. I have always been so pessimistic and a creature of habit, it was hard to make myself different.

I decided that I would start with trying to develop a style. I had taken on a new look physically. I decided that I would make a quiet visit to my aunts house. I needed the teachings of make up. I made the call in private to have my aunt to invite me over. I am not sure of the excuse, but whatever she said, convinced them that I should come alone.

My parents dropped me off, and I let out a deep sigh in anticipation that I was doing something I wanted, but should not be doing. I almost felt like a criminal. My aunt welcomed me happily, and with a big hug. She remarked on how different I looked. She giggled and jumped up and down like a lottery winner. She certainly knew how to pump up my self esteem. I smiled brightly.

"So, you want to know the art of make up. I am going to tell you what I was always told. The secret to wearing make up is to look like you are not wearing make up." explained my aunt. I was stunned and confused. What was the purpose of wearing it, if you was supposed to look like you was not wearing it? She picked up on my confusion.

"I know, when you see other women wearing it, you take notice they are wearing it. I wear it and it is still noticeable, and I apply the golden rule each time I put it on. The key is you wear natural colors. I never wear bold colors that make my face clownish. I use earth tones. You want to start with your concealer." I was listening intently while she explained. She pulled out a tube that looked like lip stick. She compared it to my skin color on my cheek. She then started dotting spots on my face. I was a bit confused, but I trusted her. She applied to under my eyes, making me feel like a raccoon with light lines under my eyes rather than the black. I giggled. She began blending it in with my natural tones. She smiled.

"That hides all of your blemishes. The dark circles, the dreaded pimples, and little imperfections we don't want noticed." explained my aunt as she put the concealer to the side.

"On to the foundation of your face. That is what I am going to put on your face next, foundation." She pulls out a small glass container of flesh tone liquid. she pulled out a little wedge shaped pad, and poured some of the liquid on the wedge. She began smearing the liquid evenly on my face. My face was looking smooth and blemish free. She put the foundation next to the concealer.

"You are already looking different. Now we will work on showing off your eyes. She pulled out a kit of grey and brown colors. I could remember putting some on myself in practice. I did it somewhat right.

"I always start with a lighter shade because I have fair skin." she demonstrated by taking the applicator and pointing to the color she was going to apply. She dipped the applicator in the powder and began painting my eye lids. It was a light champagne color. It sparkled in certain light. I beamed with happiness.

"I am going to give you what people call the"The Smokey Eyes" effect I thought she was crazy for wanting to make my eyes look like smoke. But again, I trusted her. She blended in a dark shade of brown and applied it to the mid section between my eye lid and the area to my brow. She mixed a light shade of brown with the dark shade to "calm it down". I could see why it was considered smokey eye afterwards. I was transforming fast. She put the eye shadows to the side with the other containers. I was noticing how defined my eyes was looking. I boasted with the feeling of a normal teenage girl.

"Moving on to what really brings the eyes to life. Eyeliner, and mascara. I like to use liquid instead of a pencil. It's easier for me to paint on, and it also really defines the eyes." she demonstrated as she applied it to my eyes. It was cold and I almost blinked. She managed to apply it through my giggles because it tickled. She took a tissue and wiped the blotches that smeared on my upper eyes. After it dried she took a dark brown pencil and pulled down my bottom eye lid and lined it with the pencil. It kind of burned. My eyes watered a little. She put the liquid eyeliner and the pencil to the side, and took a long look at me. She smiled. She took out the tube of mascara and and dipped the bristles into the black solution. She painted it on to my eye lashes. They looked long and luxurious. I would have never imagined myself looking so different. I was a stranger to myself.