Chapter 22

My smile beamed as though it was visible over the phone. I took the phone from my mother and got back into my sitting position before giving my hello.

"Hi sweetheart!" I heard cheerfully. I could not mask my laughter. I knew I was not the only one in anxious all day.

"How are you?" I asked trying to be polite and not too over excited sounding.

"I am great now. I have not stopped thinking of you or talking about you all day. I think I have drove my mom crazy all day asking questions about a girl like you. Not that your weird or anything, just so much more sophisticated than what I have been around or accustomed to." He stated very happily. I was starting to worry that I was unusual despite his complimentary tone.

"Oh my. You talked about me all day?" I asked a bit concerned.

"Don't worry or get a big head too fast. I mainly thought about you the most."He chuckled.

"So my lady any good news for me?" He asked anxiously.

"I do. What do you want to know the answer to the most?" I asked to get him even more excited.

"Do we have a date?" He quickly asked. I laughed at the excitement in his voice.

"Well it all depends?" I said still teasing at him.

"On?" He asked getting impatient with my game.

"If you can come to dinner at my house tomorrow night and meet my parents? After that we are free to go on our date over the weekend unchaperoned."I asked happily.

"Just give me the time and address and I will be there no questions asked!" He answered happily.

"So what about my extra cellphone? Is it ok to bring along with my appetite?" He asked teasingly.

"Yes, that is ok as well. They just told me I would be responsible for it and not them if for some reason it got lost, stolen or damaged." I stated calmly.

"It's ok, I have insurance on it." He stated proudly.

"So what time and where?" He asked bluntly. I gave him the time and address and he wrote it all down.

"How is the sunburn today?" He asked after he was finished.

"Still very much fresh and tender." I answered looking at my scorched skin.

"I figured as much. I feel bad for you. So, do I need any pointers on winning your parents approval?" He asked in hope.

"Just be yourself. They do not expect perfection, just honorable." I coaxed along.

"I wanted to talk to you earlier today, but I thought that I may become a nuisance if I called every time I wanted to hear your voice. You would get nothing done." He laughed. I gave a small giggle to encourage his flattery.

"I was anxious to hear from you as well" I returned a compliment.

"That's why a cellphone comes in handy. You can always send little reminders that your on my mind. I am glad to know I can talk to you a little more often now." He said in a softer voice.

"So, what kind of date plan did you have in mind now that my parents uninvited themselves?" I asked quickly.

"I am not sure now. I will have to rethink that one over." He answered with a hint of confusion.

"Your so delicate. Especially with the sun burn. I will ponder on it." He stated in thinking mode.

"I can't wait to see you tomorrow. " I blurted out. I was surprised it came out so suddenly.

"I know what you mean sweetie. How do I need to dress? I have met girls parents before, but only from their door or the car. It is just a brief introduction and we are on our way." He explained. I felt a little unconfortable. I was sure he had a long trail of broken hearts.

"Just casual is fine. Just wear something like you had on when we met and you will meet my parents approval." I stated in a little troubled voice.

"You ok?" He asked with concern.

"Yes, I am fine." I lied. I tried to sound upbeat to take away room for questioning. I wanted to know about his past, but at the same time I felt out of place. I would tell him more about myself when I was more comfortable.

"Good. I thought I may have upset you by the way you said that. Listen, I just want to clarify right now that I don't have a large past relationship history. I have a hard time dating stuck up, snobbish girls that attend my school. I have dated around some, but that is all it amounts to. A date, and then they pretty much ignore me after." He stated unhappily.

"I understand." I lied again. I had no idea the concept of dating. I gathered he had very few girlfriends by the way he was explaining. I started to worry.

"I will try my best to show you a good time. I just hope you don't get bored with me too fast." He stated hopeful. I gave a small laugh. I did not know how to respond to that.

"I am sure we will get a long fine. I am not the most upbeat person either. But I am sure we can emphasize." I responded with hope it was a good enough answer without sounding like a tease.

"I must admit I am anxious to see you again, but at the same time I am feeling nervous." He sighed.

"I understand, but my parents will make you feel welcomed and comfortable. I promise." I tried to reassure him.

"Well, I had better allow you your prayer time with your family. I think that is a great ritual. My family is far too busy to do that. Goodnight sweetheart. I will be counting the minutes until I pull into your drive way" He said softly before ending the call.

I once again was mesmerized. I could hardly wait for tomorrow evening to arrive.