Chapter 20

I spent the afternoon helping my mother in the kitchen. We prepared barbecue chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and of coarse my mothers fresh baked bread. The smell was very enticing, but I chose a salad and healthy choice beefy vegetable soup.

I wanted to be helpful, and be around when my father made it home from work. My mom and I talked a little about Tristen. She did manage to tell me that she spoke to Aunt Trudy about Tristen's offer to allow me to use the extra cellphone and his extended welcome for them to chaperone our date. Aunt Trudy was excited for me and thought the cellphone was a wonderful idea, especially for an emergency situation. She coaxed along that since I was a blossoming young lady that if something was to occur, I would be able to get assistance.

As far as them going on the date with us, she said it was up to them. It would allow them to get to know him better, and his up bringing. She also stated it would be a good change for them to get out of town for a while. However if they went, it may be awkward for them, and it would show their lack of trust in me.

My mother was really silent after telling about their conversation. I knew she was in deep thought about it all. I assured her if they wanted to go I would be comfortable with it. She gave me a fake smile and patted my hand.

When my father arrived at home, I gave him a welcome home hug and a quick peck on the cheek as normal. I then excused myself to wash up for dinner, and to allow them to discuss things over.

I paced the floor of my room until I had a circle pattern to develop on my carpet. I tried to be optimistic but the negative pessimistic thoughts over counted the good. By the time my mother came to my room to announce dinner being finished I had exhausted myself from pacing and over thinking it all. She smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up, so I could relax a little.

I arrived at the table and found them already seated. My father gave me no hint of the decision they had made. I sat down and tried to show no eagerness to know. We all reached hands for grace. My father blessed our food and we all gave our Amen.

My mother brought my dinner I had prepared for myself to the table for me. I still eyed the other dishes, and longed to dig into them. But I had self control. We all ate in silence. I am sure you could cut the tension in the air with a knife.

After we all finished our dinner, my dad stretched out in his chair and thanked us for a great meal. He rubbed his full belly as though it would help digest his over eating.

I looked at him in anticipation. It was killing me not knowing anything but a thumbs up from my mother. My father knew the suspense was eating at me, so he went into talking about his day at work. I smiled and tried to listen, but I had no idea what he said. I was ready to scream on top of my lungs, "WILL YOU PLEASE GIVE ME AN ANSWER!!!" But I kept control.

He was staring at me oddly for awhile. I knew I must have missed something. I finally snapped out of my own thoughts and asked him to repeat what he had said. He busted out in a roar of laughter.

"All I said was chuga chuga choo choo." In between laughs. I gave him a nervous giggle and excused myself to help clear the dirty dishes. After the table was clear we sat and chatted about the garden. They had after dinner coffee and I ate a fig bar.

After coffee he finally smiled at me indicating he was going to give me my answer. My heart was beating so fast I thought I would pass out.

"After your mother and I discussed your "Boyfriends" offer, we have decided..." He prolonged his words to keep me anticipating

"Which question do you want the answer to first?" He asked laughing mischievously.

"Either." I answered trying not to show my eagerness.

"You can have the cellphone if you want to take on the responsibility of it. If by chance it was to become lost or broken, we are not reliable. We do expect for you to check in with us on your date however." He replied while winking at me and smiling.

I was overwhelmed. I jumped up and squeezed him and my mother while chanting thank you over and over again. I was the happiest girl in the world.

I had to sit down and regain my breath and composure before I passed out.

"However, we expect to meet him before we turn you two on a date by yourselves." He concluded with a serious look.

"So, with that being said, please invite him over for dinner tomorrow night. I would like to get acquainted with this young man before a Saturday night date. Understood?" Asked my father with a serious tone and look.

"Yes Sir. I will give him the invite when he calls me tonight." I answered maturely. I excused myself to help my mother wash the dishes.

She finally dismissed my help when I dropped several things almost breaking them. I gave her another big hug and announced I would go ahead and shower.

I flew through my shower. I did not want to miss my phone call. I finished before my mother got the kitchen cleaned up. She knocked on the door and giggled when entering in the bathroom due to me waiting in my towel for her. I was ready for my aloe gel and to be fully ready so I would not miss the phone ringing.

After she finished, I dressed in my pajamas and put my robe on and went to the family room so I would be all set to go.