Chapter8

My nap was short considering my strange sleep schedule I had created unplanned. I stretched my stiff skin out of sleep mode and made my way to my mirror to see if any tanning had begun. So far nothing appeared differently. The sun sure had drained me of my energy and my stomach was growling.

I made my way to the kitchen to see if mother had begun any lunch preparations. As I walked by the family room I did not see her watching her morning talk shows. Yet she was not in the kitchen either. I suppose fathers sandwich was all she was planning on making.

I decided to make a healthy choice frozen dinner box and a big glass of ice water. While it was microwaving I went to look for my mother. I stepped on the back deck to find her sitting and doing some patch work on my fathers work pants. She looked up at me for a split second before returning to her sewing.

"We'll look at who has returned from her beauty sleep." My mother sneered.

" It was just a short nap, that sun was hot when I went crop dusting" I replied smugly.

"You know you are getting days closer to the start of a new school year. Are you preparing yourself?" Asked my mother.

"I am anticipating as well as fretting." I answered.

"You want a word of advise that I know will make no indifference to you now?" Chuckled my mother. I rolled my eyes and gave her a smirk.

"Be yourself. It is up to you to believe in yourself before anyone else will." She answered with a concerned look on her face. I knew she was serious.

"I know what you are saying but I feel so much pressure on my shoulders that I have a new look that also means a new personality." I said expressing my concerns.

"Do you feel changed inside and out?" She asked while still working on my fathers pants.

"That's the hard part. I am happy and proud of myself but yet I am torn to know who I am." I answered shuffling my feet. My mother stared at me intensely.

" I can understand the confusion. I know what we should do to help you discover who you are now. Go eat your lunch and make yourself over. I have a surprise in store for you." Said my mother smiling.

I gave her a confused look. However I was not going to refuse she seemed positive of whatever she had planned. I went to the kitchen and ate my lunch. I took my time because I was getting nervous. I cleaned up my lunch dishes and made my way to my bedroom. I stood in front of my closet staring blankly inside it. I was hoping that something would magically come out and dress me on my own. I had no idea what to wear. Was this a test? I continued to stare at my wardrobe. I imagined the dressing scene from the animated movie "Beauty and the Beast." I giggled a little imagining a wardrobe closet coming to life and making myself over. I shuffled through all of the clothes. I decided to be daring and I slipped on a bright orange melon color skirt that went a little above my knee. I found a white lacy shirt that was see through and found a matching bright orange melon color tank top to go under the sheer over shirt. I slipped on some sheer lacy socks and some white flat shoes with a orange bow across the toes.

I went to see my creation in my full length mirror. I smiled at my reflection. I did well. I plugged in my curling iron and did my make up while it heated up. After my make up was applied I added big fat curls to my hair and put the sides up. I polished off my look with a spray of cherry blossom body spray with glitter. I sparkled.

I was excited yet nervous about my mothers plan. I felt confident but yet scared of what we would be doing.

I stepped into the family room where I found my mother gathering her purse and house keys. I felt butterflies in my stomach.

She looked up at me with a strange expression on her face. I am sure it was my clothing choice. Perhaps I should have dressed in what we purchased together on our shopping spree. I decided to sweeten the awkwardness.

" This is an Aunt Trudy special, since I am not sure what you have planned I thought this would be safe to sweat in" I smiled reassuringly.

She seemed satisfied with my response. She gave me a hopeful smile and I followed her out the door. I realize now what my attire should consist of on my first day.

We stepped out on the porch to find Aunt Trudy beaming a big smile. I was confused and could not help but to wonder what kind of adventure these two women had come up with. Aunt
Trudy never stepped out if her car, so we had our greetings once we sat inside her car.

"We'll look at you looking all stylish!" Aunt Trudy boasted out with delight. I smiled and felt a little less nervous.

"Why thank you sis!" my mother giggled in response. We all let out a chuckle. They knew how to lighten tension soaring through my mind. Of coarse they begun talking to each other along the roads. I am pretty sure they was wanting to torture me with suspense. It was working quite well. I retorted to biting my nails with nervousness.

Finally as we approached a mall in one of our bigger cities that was a luxury to visit, they broke the conversation amongst themselves and turned from the front seat to face me. I almost felt like a criminal about to meet my doom.

"Your mother thought it would be a good idea to take you a little further out of your comfort zone to let you spread your new found wings." Aunt Trudy began to explain. My mother quickly followed through with her part of the plan of the afternoon.

"Your Aunt Trudy and I are going to window shop for a while, or should I say I am going to window shop for a while, and you my dear are going to mingle your own direction and allow yourself to get adjusted to the new you. I figure that the crowd here will be less judging of you since we are out of town, and you can get a feel of how to carry yourself, see other people's style, and look around at things you will need like pencils and what not before you begin your last year as a new you." My other smiled reassuringly at me and we all opened our car doors.

I swallowed a big lump down my throat. Are they serious? I knew they was as they walked into the shopping center laughing as I stood there like a kindergartner on her first day of her school life. I must of stood for longer than what I had thought, cause a handsome boy approached me smiling, and I looked like a puzzled fool.