Chapter 36

After my agreement with Danica's blackmail, I walked back to my house. I went back to join my father for a drink of water. I knew he would be curious as to what Danica wanted.

"Everything ok squirt?" My father asked with genuine concern. I had this under control. I smiled proudly.

"Yes, everything is fine. We just discussed the upcoming arrival of school." I answered half truthfully. My father studied my face for a minute waiting to catch me showing emotion to the truth. I did not flinch a muscle to reveal I was not totally honest.

"Odd, you two never really talk any more. Well, since childhood I should say." He tried coaxing the truth from me.

"I know, kinda funny isn't it? She seems to understand me more since I gained some confidence." I answered trying to sound convincing. It must have worked because he flashed me a smile, finished his water, and started back out to the garden. I followed his lead, returned the smile, got a good drink of water, and went with him back to the garden.

We worked a few hours in the corn section of the garden. We pulled multiple ears of corn, placing them in buckets for my mother to shuck in the future. There was nothing like fresh picked corn. My father always had the sweet corn.

We moved on to green beans. We managed a few buckets before our stomachs began growling and demanding lunch, We was both anticipating what my mother had prepared for lunch.

We washed up with the water hose by the shed. We was both wearing dirt, corn strings, and bug bites. We took off our shoes and dashed for the kitchen.

My mother smiled at us. We was in a race to the table. My father smiled smugly when his bottom was resting comfortably in the seat before I went around the table. I gave him a smirk, to show I was cheated.

The kitchen smelled wonderful. However, she could have cooked smelly liver and my hunger would have welcomed the smell. Luckily my mother had prepared a small salad, a loaded baked potato, and sloppy joes. I had worked up a hefty appetite and was going against my diet to devour lunch.

My mother joined us at the table and my father gave grace. The table was silent after grace. We scarfed our food down as though we were a wolves whom had not ate for a whole month. We thanked my mother for a scrumptious lunch and helped ourselves to sweet tea she had also prepared. After over eating I had no desire to go back out to the garden. I was ready for a nap.

My father cooled down in front of the tv after he finished lunch, and mom and I began kitchen clean up. I was quiet as I helped with the kitchen. My mind raced from Danica's proposal to my upcoming date with Tristen. I was anxious to get to my room to check my messages. I rushed through the remainder of clean up, and announced I was going to check in with Tristen.

I raced to my room. I had 2 unread messages from him. The first one read, "Getting closer to time my sweet beauty. Are you as anxious as I am?" I smiled happily after reading his message. The next message read, "Are you ignoring me? Are you planning on standing me up?" I chuckled to myself. He was as insecure as I was this morning I thought to myself. I quickly gave him a reply. I wrote, "I am anxious to be with you again too. I had to pass the time or I would have drove myself crazy. I went out to help my father in the garden. I would never ignore you."

I then collapsed comfortably on my bed awaiting his reply with the phone on my chest. I waited for what seemed like hours for his reply. Finally I got a response. His message read, "Ah, you did not forget me. I understand you had to occupy your time. I also had to stay busy. I washed and cleaned my car." I smiled. I sent a reply message stating I was sure his car was shiny new. I also told him I was exhausted and was going to take a small nap so I did not fall asleep on him too early. He sent a reply back saying he would text me in an hour to make sure I was awake. He did not want me to sleep through our date. To make sure I would be punctual I set the alarm on the phone. I had to shower off the garden sweat and smells. I needed to be refreshed and ready. I also wanted to wash away the dirty feeling that Danica had submitted me to.

I was debating on telling Tristen her proposal. I knew he would help me understand the reality of it all, however I also needed time to decide for myself. I made myself the promise that if I came to no conclusion on an answer, then I would impose the conflict to less judging ears. I knew Tristen was a straight shooter when it come to the truth.

The afternoon was getting away from me and my dirty body was still on my clean bed. I grabbed a t-shirt, and a pair of drawstring shorts and walked to the bathroom in a sleepy slumber. I washed away my dirt, grit, and worries. I finished my shower and wrapped a towel over my wet hair. I knew napping with wet hair would result in my hair being an unruly bed head mess. I was so tired it did not bother me.

I stretched out on my bed with my pillow and fleece throw and was asleep within seconds.

Tristen was good to his word. He texted me just about the same time as my alarm went off. I did not want to move. Tristen asked if I was awake, and I replied that I was but I could have slept longer.

I wanted to get an early start on getting ready. I first had to see how bad my bed head was. I looked in my mirror and discovered I looked like a future punk rocker. My hair had spikes all over my head. I knew I would have to wet down my hair. I giggled to myself. I could pass as a shark.

I grabbed my pink outfit I pieced together and dragged my feet to the bathroom. I still felt sluggish from my small nap. I dunked my head under the bathtub faucet and got my hair wet, followed by changing from lounge wear into my evening attire.

I picked up the bathroom and went back to my room to finish preparing for my date. I decided to add hot rollers to my hair and give it some body. While I waited for the rollers to do their magic, I applied my make up and my accessories. I chose some studded clip on earrings, and a gold chevron pattern bracelet. I added a spray of white musk and white musk hand lotion that I had received as a gift from Aunt Trudy a few Christmas back. I rarely used the spray and saved it for special occasions.

After a hour I unrolled my hair. I displayed bouncy curls that I lightly sprayed and pulled up my sides to tie in a cute white ribbon. I looked mature. I was satisfied with my look.

I decided to take a break and check in with Tristen. I sent a message telling him I was finishing up and asked him the time he would be getting to our house to pick me up. A few minutes later he answered he would be arriving at my house at 7:30 p.m. I replied I would be ready and anxiously waiting.

I had a couple of hours to spare. I decided to spend some time with my parents and tell them what time I would be leaving.

My mother was in the kitchen starting dinner. My father was still outside gardening. My mother looked at me with a big smile.

"You look so grown up." She said followed by a long sigh. I must admit, it felt odd having a Saturday away from home. I was getting nervous because I knew no plans.

"I am nervous. I don't know what to expect." I said worriedly. My mother patted my hand.

"I am sure you will have a lovely time." My mother said in a soothing manner. It helped but did not take the edge away. I knew my mother was putting on a secure act, because I knew this was new to her as well, and it had to be harder than she let on. I flashed a happy smile to try and to ease the tension.

I could not help but to think of Danica's crazy proposition. I knew no good would come of her idea. I still had to call her bluff. I just hoped it was not going to be terribly bad.