Chapter 35

I suppose my stopping when I heard my name called was a sure give away that I heard Danica. I then made the mistake of verifying that I did hear my name by looking for the voice behind my name calling. Either way I saw my father searching for the source as well. This all meant I would have to acknowledge it and not pretend I hadn't took notice of it.

I forced a smile at my father. I put up the just a second finger to Danica, signaling I would answer her briefly. I had earned my water and I felt I had a lump inside my throat the size of a grapefruit. I had to force it down some how.

My father looked skeptical at the both of us. I suppose my uncontrollable shaking and spilling my glass of water everywhere had its role in his skepticism. I had no idea how to correct it. I just double gripped my glass to try and stabilize my one hand. It really made no difference. Now both hands was shaking and I looked like a dog trying to use it's paws for a sip of water.

I gave up. I was still parched, but their was no denying I was in an uncomfortable situation. The longer I stood there, the more my father wondered what was going on. If I ran into the house, not only would I look like a scolded dog with its tail between its legs, but there was also the possibility my dad would see what she wanted.

I faked another smile at my father, sat my glass down, and walked in the direction that Danica was standing in. To think I was trying to make the day go by fast so I could see my date tonight had back fired.

I approached Danica at a safe distance. On one hand I was far enough away that she could not grab a handful of my hair, and at the same time I was far enough away from my father that he would not hear our conversation.

Danica gave a fake smile and wave to my father. She always portrayed such innocence in front of my parents. I only hoped they wasn't fooled and could see the diamond planted horns penetrating out of her skull.

I was preparing to hear her whines from our prank on her. I was actually shocked she had not sunk too an all time low and told my parents.

"What are you doing? You look like Little Debbie instead of Little Daisy." She sneered. I was sure she sought this conclusion from my straw hat. I returned the sneer smile.

"What do you want Danica?" I was blunt and straight to the point. I had no time for her vengeful games. She looked stunned for a brief second. Then she went back to her fake smile and sweet, fake voice she used on most people to get her way.

"I thought I would tell you that I am going to look past your little charade days ago. However, I will not forget your conduct. I have not spoke of it to either of our parents, although I have had ample opportunity to do so. All I want from you is a truce. We are both mature adults here aren't we?" She asked coyly. I knew this was some kind of revenge plot. I also knew it was awkward situation and my father was watching us suspiciously. I could play along and be done or I could call her on the bluff she was getting at. I had to prepare myself carefully.

"I suppose so. What is it your getting at Danica? I know you well enough that you have never gave an non vengeful, forgiving speech before. Especially not to me, you are much more spiteful than that." I expressed my thoughts gritting a fake smile so my father was not alarmed I was in distress.

"Why does everything have to be so pessimistic with you? Can you not take sincereity?" She asked still masking that fake smile she was so clever at.

"No. What are you getting at?" I asked bluntly still gritting a smile.

"I have a proposition for you. Your unladylike behavior the other day will stay away from the wrong ears if you do me a teeny tiny favor." Danica said smiling smugly. Did I dare have the audacity to go along with what was sure to be blackmail? Regardless, I was curious to hear this out.

"Go on, spill it." I continued with my blunt tone and fake smile.

"The truth is that I know you are going to turn some heads with the new you, that you created for yourself. By no means am I intimidated by your new looks. However, just for fun I want you to do me a favor. All I ask is for you to dazzle your new look for the first day of school, and the second day I want you to go back to your old look. It's nothing spiteful I just want reactions. If you do this, everything will remain quiet, and nothing ever said about your bikini episode. We do have a picture of you as proof to back up my story if you decline my offer." Danica smiled smugly as if she had the upper hand. I could feel my cheeks burning. I lost my smile and quickly had to reinstate the false smile. What a proposition for her to suggest? I knew their was a lot more to her thought process than she let be known. What was she honestly thinking? That I could pull off being over weight and with my formerly longer hair that I once represented? I was confused by her proposal. I knew it could not be done. I looked night and day different now. So for grins and giggles I would agree to this bogus idea she had concocted. I knew it could not be done.

"I must say that I am a little confused by your suggestion. However, to keep a sound peace of mind, I am willing to participate." I answered straight faced. At this point I was not concerned about my fathers suspiscions. I would easily confess to them my reasons for my behavior. I sought this as a good way to further show everyone who Danica really was. After my agreement I went back to smiling. This time the smug smile I showed was more of a future accomplishment. I was confident I had Danica right where I wanted her.