Chapter 5

I wanted to pretend that it was not Danica behind me or that she pecked on my shoulder. I stood still for a moment. She pecked again on my shoulder, so I knew I would be forced to turn around. I slowly turned around and faced the cold stare of Danica's eyes.

"I thought that was you. I hardly recognized you. You look so different. How are you?" she asked politely with a smirk. I stared back at her. I hope that she did not see the fear looming inside my eyes.

"I am well. How are you?" I asked in a mono tone.

"I can't complain. I am doing some last minute shopping before the first day of school arrives. I am stoked that we finally made it to our senior year. So, what is going on with all of your changes? You do not look like yourself." she asked getting straight to the point.

"I decided to be daring and I wanted a change." I replied, straight to the point.

"Obviously. How did you lose the weight?" she asked bluntly.

"I dieted and exercised." I stated bluntly. Her cold stare was darting into me, and I started backing up intimidated by her coldness. 

"Well. I think you look amazing. I never would have thought you had it in you, considering your background. I have known you your whole life. I am surprised your mom and dad allowed you out of the house in this get up you are wearing. Speaking of your mom and dad, where are they? I couldn't imagine them allowing you out of their site especially with make up and those clothes." She asked meanly. Just as she asked, my aunt appeared beside me.

"Hi. Who is this young lady, Daisy?" asked my aunt smiling coldly.

"Aunt Trudy, this is one of my school mates, Danica." I replied. Danica stared blankly at my aunt. It was hard to imagine my mom and my Aunt Trudy was sisters. They looked nothing alike, nor acted alike, Danica faked a smile at my aunt.

"Pleased to meet you Trudy. I was just telling Daisy how different she looked. I barely recognized her." Danica stated. My aunt eyed Danica suspiciously.

"I know. We are all very proud of her for her progress. I think she looks beautiful." my aunt said smiling at me. Danica  looked uncomfortable. She was shifting her feet side to side backing away.

"Well, I have more shopping to get done. I just wanted to say hello, and to congratulate you on making it to our senior year Daisy. I gotta go. See ya." Danica said smirking and walked away. My aunt looked  at me knowingly and sympathetically. I forced a smile.

"Are you ok?" asked my aunt.

"I am fine." I answered uneasy. I knew she had it all figured out. I should have spoke of it when it had crossed my mind earlier. I was almost shaking with fear. Danica had away of crawling under my skin. My aunt gave me a smile. 

"You know you have girls like Danica every where you go. You have to believe in yourself, and stand up for who you are." my aunt reassured me.

"I know. But I am not sure who I am now, Aunt Trudy. I have been fighting with myself over this for days now. I can't seem to combine my look with my personality." I replied.

"I thought you have done wonderful today. I have never seen you happier. I even saw girls and some guys stopping and staring at you. You just paraded around like you owned the shopping center. It comes naturally to you when you are not thinking about it."  said my aunt smiling. I was shocked. How did I not notice what my aunt had seen? I was oblivious to it because I was lost in my happiness.

"Really? People stared at me Aunt Trudy?" I asked stunned.

"Oh yes. Why wouldn't they? You was marching with your big smile, shoulders straight, and not slumped down. You was strutting girl." laughed my aunt. I beamed with pride, and blushed a little. I had no idea I was strutting. I was trying to get use to my shoes that was killing my feet.

"Let's go pick up those pictures, and get you ready for home." my aunt said hugging my shoulders. I felt a little better. 

We was quiet on our way to my aunts house. I was lost in thought. I could not believe that I was being noticed, especially by guys. The only time guys ever paid attention to me was when they wanted a answer to homework questions or for me to pass a note to a popular girl setting around me. I probably did not need blush because my face stayed flushed with embarrassment from the thought of being looked at.

I walked into my aunts house slowly. I knew it was all coming to an end. Like after my shopping adventure with my parents.  I smiled at my aunt.

"So, are you going to be brave and wear your clothes and make up home?" my aunt chuckled.

"No way." I laughed. I went back to my cousins room and plopped on her bed. I sat a moment reliving my adventure before I changed into my old clothes. I could wear one of the nice dresses that my cousin owned. I shuffled through the dress pile. I decided on a mint green sun dress. It was simple, but stylish. It had spaghetti straps, and a straight line at the top towards the bosom area, so no cleavage was revealed. I lost most of the cleavage I had anyways. It had a darker green glittery wide belt around the waist line, and was long. A small ruffle rested on my knees. I put on a pair of  white slip on dress shoes with a small heel. The dress also had a small matching mint green purse that sparkled. I put my make up inside the purse. I did not want to wash my face. I enjoyed the make up. I did have pictures of what I looked like today. I smiled and walked to the bathroom to wash my face. I scrubbed my face. I still looked nice, but my face felt plain again.

I walked back into my cousin's room and bagged up the clothes I had chosen. I slowly looked back at the remaining pile I did not choose. It was heart breaking. They was still really nice clothes I was leaving behind. I knew what it felt like to be left behind. I turned off the light and shut the door. Out of sight and out of mind. I walked to the living room and greeted my aunt with a smile. She looked me over and smiled with approval.

"I don't think Brittany wore that dress but a couple of times. I always thought she was beautiful in it. I am glad that it will be in good hands and shown off the way it was meant to be. I see you scrubbed off the make up. Its a shame really. I wish my sister would  lift the no make up rule. She wore it when she was your age believe it or not. I will talk to her and see what I can get done so you can wear it. I hope she likes your gently used clothes."  said my aunt with a comforting smile. I was digesting the news of my mother wearing make up and was staring off in space stunned.

The trip home was silent. I almost wished I could stay with my aunt forever. I would miss my parents too much to do that. I did love my parents very much. Some of the things they did was old fashioned, but they had my best wishes at heart. My aunt got out with me and we walked into the house together. My mom hugged me as soon as I walked into the door. I squeezed her right back.

"Look at you!" my mother exclaimed looking at me up and down. She smiled happily. 

"You look amazing Daisy!" She said sqealing. My aunt laughed at her. 

"Thank you Trudy. She looks amazing." my mom said hugging my aunt. I took that moment to take my bags to my room hoping that my aunt could convince my mom to allow me to wear make up without me present. I knew not to get my hopes up. I began putting away my new garments. I took one of the pictures my aunt took of me out. I shoved it into the glass of my mirror. I could remember this day always.