Chapter 15

The moment I heard the phone ring I immediately jumped. I quickly threw my pajamas on, and listened in the hall to see if they called for me to get the phone. I wanted it to be for me but on the other hand I was nervous because of it being the first time ever a guy had ever called me before. In fact, I hardly ever had phone calls other than family. Time stood still. Seconds seemed like hours.

I didn't want to appear anxious and go check out who was on the phone, but apart of me was already wanting to run and see who it was and eavesdrop on words. What do I do?

I walked to the end of the hall and listened before I peeked to see who answered. I could hear nothing. Had they called for me to get the phone and I not heard it?

"Boo!" My dad scared the living out of me. I screamed and jumped a mile high. I was caught. My father had caught me. I smacked playfully at him.

"Very funny dad!" I said starting to walk back to my room to regain my senses.

"Wait, don't you wanna know who it's for?" My dad called after me.

"Not now. I am lucky I didn't soil myself!" I said coldly and stomped on down the hall. I could hear his laughter behind me.

I went inside my room and plopped down on my bed. I had forgotten my sunburn and just about cried out from the pain from the bounce on my skin. I was still very much curious. I couldn't appear overly anxious so I was going to wait it out. I knew I had patience. I was taught that a long time ago. I was gritting my teeth in anticipation but I would carry it out.

What seemed like hours went by. When in reality it was minutes. I decided I had given enough time after 5 minutes of waiting before I reappeared in the family room. My dad was sitting in his recliner, kicked back reading the newspaper. He lowered his paper down and looked over it at me when he heard my foot steps down the hall. I flipped the back of the paper playfully as I walked past him. He gave his distorted laugh and went back to reading. I easily sat down on the couch, careful not to stretch my sizzled skin and reclined out the couch recliner. It felt wonderful on my hot skin briefly but my hot skin turned the cool surface hot within seconds. I was disappointed that it wasn't Tristen. I tried to occupy my mind on the news. I was in so much discomfort and tired from the day, that I dozed off within seconds.

I was startled and woke up an hour later. I looked around and dad had also dozed off with the paper folded across his chest. I saw that it was mom that had startled me awake. She whispered down in my ear the words I was so happy to hear.

"You have a phone call." She informed me with a big smile on her face. I jumped in excitement forgetting my sunburn once again. I grimaced with pain and slowly got up from the couch.

I stepped into the kitchen and picked up the portable phone. I decided to take the phone call on the front porch where it was private and cool from the setting sun.

"Hi!" I heard on the other line after I gave my hello.

"Hi!" I returned the enthusiasm.

"How is that sunburn?" Tristen immediately asked.

"Tender." I grumbled playfully. He laughed at my tone.

"I haven't stopped thinking about you since we said goodbye." He informed me happily.

"Really?" I asked to be sure he was honest.

"Yes, really." He assured me. I giggled playfully.

" I have thought about you too." I stated truthfully.

"My friends thought you was cute and sweet." He said surprising me.

"I think my guy friends was even jealous." He laughed proudly. I could feel my cheeks getting hot. I just did a small laugh.