Chapter Three

TWO MONTHS LATER

RAE

"Hi, I'm here to see my mum Jane Cutter."

The nurse behind the desk types something into the computer, she was new so didn't know me like the other nurses and doctors. It was kind of sad that the majority of my friends were staff at the hospital my mum had been admitted to two months ago.

After my mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour with no chance of recovery I hid away from the world, my job, and my friends, choosing to spend every moment by her side. She was the only family I had left. Her parents didn't approve of my dad so disowned her, and my dad's family were low lives but mum and dad were in love once upon a time. Dad stayed in my life until I was six, and then one night he went out and never came over. That was twenty years ago.

My mum was the strongest woman I knew and my only real role model growing up. She raised a child on her own while managing to go back to school to get a degree in accountancy. Then she worked as many hours as she could to put food on the table and provide me with clothes and toys every child should have. She taught me to never give up on my dreams, and that not all guys were bad because the right one was out there for me.

I wanted to make my mum proud, I wanted her memories of me to be happy ones. She'd made a bucket list and we were trying to tick off all the items before she passed away. The doctors couldn't give us an exact timeframe of how long she had left, so we were determined to live every moment like it was our last one together. There was one item she'd recently added to her bucket list, and that was to meet Vic. Or how she liked to call him 'the boy who makes my daughter smile'. I didn't know if we'd ever get to tick that item off because Vic was currently touring around Europe.

Vic, Mike and Alysha had become my rocks in my time of need. Vic more so, I could rant and vent for hours and he always knew the right thing to say to calm me down and make me feel better. We'd become very close, but I didn't want to label our relationship anything because I didn't want to jinx us.

"Jane Cutter, she's been moved to a private room off the ward. ICU room 12. Have a nice day."

Nodding, I grab the pass the nurse slides across the counter and clip it to my jacket. Mums doctor said a private room would be more comfortable, and I agreed no matter what the extra cost. It was now my turn to look after my mum. I'd brought some things from her house to make the hospital room feel more like home, my mum was going to have the nicest room in this place.

Mum was sat up in bed scrolling through the TV channels as I walk into her room. The second she sees me her eyes light up and she opens her arms and like a little kid I drop the bags and get onto the bed with her hugging her frail body.

"How are you feeling today mum?"

"Better now you're here love."

Her voice was kind of croaky so I hand her a glass of water before getting off the bed to her the goodies I'd brought her.

"Now we're going to make this room feel like a home so I brought you some things. Would you like to see them, mum?"

She nods and I start to pull out the items one by one. I start with her favourite throw, which we use to cover ourselves with when we'd cuddle on the sofa watching films on the weekends. Out next came a hideous vase which she loved and I hated, which I put some flowers in and placed it on the bedside table. I got her a few books to read and an empty journal because she wanted me to have something to remember her by when she was gone. Then I really made her eyes light up when I pull out seasons 1-10 of Friends, our favourite TV show.

"I'm going to grab myself something from the cafeteria before we binge watch Friends. Would you like anything mum?"

She shakes her head and chuckles, "I've got all the drugs I need right here."

I wait until I'm out of the room before I let a tear fall. I know she was trying to lighten the mood by joking about the drugs, but it hit home that she needed to be on several drugs at once to keep her comfortable. The grim reality was sinking back in. In my pocket my phone goes off, the caller ID read 'Sexy Mexican' which was Vic. He tried to call me at least once a day, and maybe his voice could make me feel better.

"How's Europe? Oh and hi."

He laughs, "Hi back at you Rae. Europe's great, we're in Italy. You'd love it out here."

I smile at the enthusiasm and happiness in his voice, he was passionate about his music and was living his dream every night.

"You know I've never left Hawaii Vic, I'd love to travel but wouldn't know where to begin."

"I'll be your worldwide tour guide. One day I'm going to take you all around the world, just you watch this space," he chuckles, "though on a more serious note how's your mum?" his voice softens becoming more serious.

I'd made it to the cafeteria by this point and was browsing the overpriced and unappealing sandwiches, maybe I could convince the doctor to let me bring mum a home cooked meal just like she taught me to cook.

"She's been moved to a private room, it's worth the extra money. I brought some things from her house to make the room seem less hospital and more like home. Oh, she added another item to her bucket list."

I settle on a prawn mayonnaise sandwich, a chocolate muffin and a bottle of orange juice.

"What did she add Rae?"

"I must go on a lot about you Vic because she wants to meet the boy who makes her daughter smile."

I pay the cashier and walk out of the cafeteria waiting for Vic's reply. It was probably a bombshell to drop on him.

"And I want to meet her too. I want to tell her in person how much I love her daughter, and that she raised a beautiful and kind young woman."

Damn it Vic always knew what to say, his compliment gave me butterflies in my stomach.

"Ah, you're too cute for your own good Vic. But you sound tired so go and sleep, Vic. I love you more and rock Europe."

"Goodbye, Rae."

"Bye Vic."

He hangs up just as I get back to my mum's room. She already had season one fired up and ready to watch. Crawling back onto the bed, mum throws the throw over the two of us just like old times and I struggle but succeed in keeping the tears back as she presses play.