Chapter Seven

1 WEEK LATER

RAE

Today Vic was helping me pack up the family house which mum had sold to pay off the outstanding hospital bills and funeral costs. I was also taking a large leap of faith because Vic had asked me if I'd like to move in with him in San Diego. There was nothing really for me in Hawaii anymore so I said yes and would be moving after the funeral.

Vic was in the kitchen while I tackled my childhood bedroom. I had boxes to go into storage, boxes to give to charity, and boxes which were coming with me to San Diego. A week ago Vic handed me the letter and journal my mum had left me and I'd been too scared to read them because then it would sink in that she was really gone. But today felt like the day to read the letter, so I sit on my old bed and open the letter addressed to me.

My darling daughter Rae,

You know that you were and will always be the light of my life. You gave me a reason to smile every day, I'm going to miss your laugh and kind heart. You think I was an inspiration to you when in my eyes you inspired me, Rae. You made me go back to school, and you supported my dreams along the way.

I know I raised you into a fine young woman, whose kind to everyone and open minded. You helped me so much in my last few months; put your life on hold to make sure I was comfortable and never alone. But now I'm gone you need to start living again, not just for me but for yourself.

Vic is a gentleman and I'm happy the two of you found each other. Love is a precious thing, and when you find the right guy you just know he's the one. You have your mum's approval when it comes to dating Vic. The bond you two have is unbreakable, my only regret is that I won't eventually get to walk you down the aisle and watch you say 'I do' to Vic. Mother knows best and he's your true love and soul mate.

I told Vic to show you the world and to experience what the world has to offer. Hawaii will always be your first home, but you need to start the next part of your journey. I know sometimes you'll be scared, nervous and want to break down which is why I left you this journal.

Inside are little entries, personal messages, life advice and some of my favourite quotes. I want this journal to help you in your time of need. And maybe you can add your own entries and give it to your future kids.

Keep your head up Rae, remember its okay to cry. Mummy will always be watching over you. I'm so proud of all you've achieved so far and wish you all the luck in the future. You'll always be in my heart and in my thoughts.

Mum xxx

Tears fall onto the paper but I quickly wipe them away before they can smudge the ink. Mum wanted me to move on and start my own life, this letter put me at ease and I felt calm for the first time in days.

"Are you okay babe?"

Vic leans in the doorway looking concerned. He'd been my rock this past week. I nod and smile for the first time since mums passing.

"I feel better Vic, ready to move on."

"I'm proud of you Rae."

He sits down next to me and we hug. My life could only go uphill from here.

~Next Day~

Today was the funeral. Mum didn't want a big deal so we were having a small gathering of her friends from work, college and high school in the local church. I'd be her only family represented because I didn't want any trash or negativity ruining the day.

Vic's younger brother Mike and his girlfriend Alysha were coming down today for support. Alysha and I had become quite good friends these last few months, and Mike knew how to pick me up and make me laugh. I needed all the support I could get.