CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Twenty-Two
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

                ** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                  ˚ ˚

                   ✯

                           "She won't stop shaking and asking for you." Elena and Stefan ran toward the strawberry blonde, the poor girl sitting on the ground with her knees pulled up to her chest. "Hey," Elena spoke softly, kneeling in front of her best friend. Their eyes read concern, but she had a feeling Stefan already knew what was happening. Stefan kneeled down also, Carter quickly pulling him closer to her. "He's here, Stefan. And he's going to kill me. He told me–" He pressed his hand to her cheek, his palm cool against her feverish skin. "He's not going to kill you. I'll get you out of here." She nodded sadly, straightening herself up. She pursed her lips and looked up to Matt, seeing him fisting his hair in thought. His eyes soon met hers, his hand dropping to the side.

"Aren't you going to help me up?" she questioned, spotting a smile leak onto his face. He grabbed both of her hands and hoisted her small body up as Stefan got Elena's attention. The two moved away for a moment, Matt's thumbs running over Carter's knuckles. "I can take you home, Cee," he whispered, moving closer to the strawberry blonde. She knew he meant nothing sexually with what he said, but she couldn't fight the blush creeping up her neck. She rested her palm against his shoulder, biting her lip. "I would let you, but all of my stuff is at Elena's—"

"Then stay. I'll be with you the whole time."

"Matt.." She ran her fingers over his cheek, smiling softly. "I've got to go, okay?" He nodded with a slight frown, clasping his hand against the nape of her neck. His fingers curled into her hair, and his lips pressed gently against hers. "Text me when you get there, okay?" he mumbled against her lips, feeling her nod against his forehead. He kissed her once more, soft and tenderly. "Just so you know, I'd kick his ass."

She laughed at his words, pulling away to look up to him. "I know you would," she admitted, her full lips curled into a wide smile. "Bye," she whispered, parting from him. He grinned at her, their fingers slowly slipping apart. It was very dramatized, yet both would'nt have it any other way. "Bye.." She turned to look at Elena, who was searching for her keys. Stefan moved toward the strawberry blonde who wore a frown on her face. "She's going to hate me for this," she muttered, watching as the brunette triumphantly pulled her keys from her bag. She wore a smile on her face, drink in hand. "Here," she said, passing the bottle to Stefan. "You ready?" Carter nodded with a slight smile, saying goodbye to Stefan.

She grabbed her by the arm gently and pulled her away. Of course Carter was the one stuck driving, but she didn't mind much. She was getting away from that party and away from that murderous vampire known as Stefan's older brother. What a family! she thought, rolling her eyes. She got into the driver's seat and waited for Elena and Stefan to say their goodbyes. She started the car, warm air rushing against her face. Soon, Elena got into the passenger seat and buckled in, allowing the girl to drive off. The road was quiet, all around them covered in darkness. Elena was quiet, her head resting against the window as she counted the trees as the car passed them. Light suddenly flooded the car as they hit town, raining the yellow light across their faces. Carter bit back her words, feeling a strange bubbling sensation in her stomach.

She pulled to a stop at a red light. "I'm sorry about making you leave early," she spoke softly, propping her elbow against the car door. Heat began growing inside her, climbing her body agonizingly slow. Sweat beaded across her forehead when Elena replied, "Its okay, Carter. I shouldn't have forced you to go, anyway." The strawberry blonde shook her head, her stomach burning at the weird feeling. A lump fought it's way into her throat. Her vision flashed, spotting the Salvatore house. She stood outside alone, shouting at the door, banging her tiny fists against the sturdy wood. The door swung open, revealing the devilish grin and dead blue eyes that she dreaded more than anything.

"Hello, Carter. Miss me?" he taunted, veins growing beneath his eyes. Her lip quivered, a scream rising through her chest. "No," she fought out, stumbling once his body collided on top of her own. The scream ripped through her body like fire that was hit with gasoline. Tears sprung from her eyes, sweat falling down her neck. Hands tried to restrain her jolting body, a small voice calling her name. A chorus of slightly familiar sounds happened all around her. The scream seemed to cease, and her vision returned. The light outside the windshield was green, and Elena was scared, calling her name frantically. Cars honked all around the vehicle, flying past them in fury.

"Oh my God. Are you okay?" Elena asked the distraught driver, tucking her fallen curls behind her ear. "You're burning up!" She retracted her hand to turn up the air, eyes leaving her friend's. Carter nodded in response and began to move forward, hoping for the light to stay green. "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened." She just shook her head, sitting back in her seat. The rest of the drive, she had her eyes on her. She would ask questions every once in a while, but Carter could never answer.

They got to Elena's house in silence, Carter's arms now showered with goosebumps. Was that how she was going to die? It couldn't be. She had seen so many predictions before, how could she be sure this was the right one? "I'll call my mom to come get me," she told Elena as the two got out of the car. She let out a small smile, before shutting her door. "Don't worry about it. Aunt Jenna said you can stay." She said it like it was no big deal, ending it all with a shrug of her leather clad shoulders. A smile broke out across her face as she nodded, hugging herself for warmth.

"Are you hungry? Because I'm starving," she stated, grabbing Carter's  hand and pulling her toward the house. "Starved." They both laughed, tired and hungry from the night of partying. After eating a ton of pop tarts and orange juice, Elena and Carter huddled up on the couch to watch a movie. Every once and a while, she would look at her phone and then look at the girl like she was slick. The movie went on and on until the two were both snoring.

────── {.⋅ ⋅.} ──────

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

sort of a filler chapter for the new year.
hopefully i will update again today.
happy new year!

edit: 10/28/18
this was my shortest chapter and
i regret posting it. 😂
hopefully i made it a little better!!