CHAPTER FORTY

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Forty
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

                ** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                  ˚ ˚

                   ✯

"Hey, Carter, its Elena.. I know. About everything. And I know that you knew, too. I just want you to know I'm not mad that you didn't tell me. Call me when you can, please.. "

" Carter, Vicki's gone. She just ran off from Elena's. If you see her, please call one of us. "

" Carter, why haven't you been answering your phone? We're all super worried about you, especially me. Please call. "

" Oh my God, Carter. I just heard what happened, I am so sorry. You know the girls and I are here for you.. I love you. "

" Carter, its Stefan. Damon told me what he did. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I never should have let you get close to him. Please call, I need to know you're going to be okay. "

" Answer the phone, Carter. I can't stand not hearing from you. I stopped by the house, but Jackson and Scott won't let me in. Please answer my calls. You're all I have left. "

" Vicki's under transition. If she comes by the house, do not let her in, okay? Call me when you can. "

────── {.⋅ ⋅.} ──────

            "Carter, open the door, babe," Kaitlin spoke from the other side of her bedroom door. Carter was seated in the center of her room on the floor, Stefan's leather jacket cradled to her chest, eyes red from crying. Her hair was tied up in a messy bun, and her body was covered in an oversized sweatshirt and baggy pants. "Go away," she hoarsely responded, staring blankly at the floor. The doorknob jiggled, but she had locked it as soon as they took Jacqueline's body from her trembling arms. She ran away, locked the door, and cried herself to sleep. "Carter, come on." This time it was Scott, the doorknob jiggling harder as he attempted to get in. "Leave me alone, please," she begged painfully. That feeling of grief took over once again as the tears began to fall once more.