CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Fifty-One
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

                ** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                  ˚ ˚

                   ✯

   She slept most of the day. She was curled up in her bed right next to Jackson, hands clutching Stefan's brown leather jacket. The events of the day had taken a large toll on the poor girl. Jackson helped her into the bath, ridding her skin of the blood that discolored it. Her face was only slightly bruised where he hit her, a small brown spot just below her left eye. She lucked out this time. "Jack," she groaned, listening to the blaring of a cell phone across the room from the two. He rolled over to face her, eyes tired, hair messy. She sighed, shrinking further into the covers. "Will you get that?" she asked him. He hesitantly got up, crossing the room in his plaid pajama pants.

She watched as he swiped the cell off the desk, pressing it to his ear. "Carter's phone. How may I help you?" he spoke into the device, resting a hand against the cool surface. "Well, hello, Dracula. How's life?" She sat up slowly, looking at Jackson with a curious expression. "Yeah, she just woke up." He moved back to the bed, setting the phone in her palm. "Damon?" she whispered, hoping it was him. "Its about Damon..," Stefan answered, causing her body to stiffen. "She wasn't there, Carter. Katherine wasn't in the tomb." She gasped.

"Damon is going insane. I need you to help him. No one cools him down like you do." She looked toward Jackson, who wore a worried expression. "I'll get Jackson to drive me over there, okay? Keep him at the house." She quickly hung up the phone and jumped out of bed, slipping into her closet to look for a better outfit. She threw on a dress and Stefan's jacket, slipping into a pair of boots. "I need you to drive me out to the Boarding House. There's something I need to take care of," she explained, brushing her fingers through her unkempt hair. Jackson only nodded, standing from his sitting position. "I'm staying, though. If anything happens–"

"You don't have to worry about that."

"Are you sure?"

She pondered on the thought, sucking in a deep breath. "No, I'm not."