CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Twenty-Eight
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                      ˚ ˚

  "Now spill," Elena demanded, plopping down on her mattress. Carter crawled into the bed between the two girls and jerked the fluffy white comforter over her. Elena's slender fingers fiddled with the curled ends of her hair, Bonnie's head rested next to hers. "It's crazy," she warned, her voice muffled by the duvet. Bonnie laughed, nudging her side with her knee. "I thought we established this already." She closed her eyes and tried her best to relax. Without pulling the duvet from her face, her words rushed out, "Apparently I'm not human, and they call me a banshee." She could feel the silence thicken, squishing her against the bed. If it had gone on any longer, her chest would concave.

Slowly, the blanket was pulled from her face and she let her eyes open. The bed shifted as the three girls sat up, both friends looking back at the strawberry blonde. "Say that again?" Elena asked softly, tucking Carter's hair behind her ear. "I'm a banshee, also known as the wailing woman." She paused, pulling in a deep breath. Their gentle expressions never changed, so she decided to continue. "I can predict death.. That's why I have those nightmares, and that's why I scream." Bonnie looked confused, so Elena stepped in.

"We were in the car driving home from the party and she saw something. Her eyes kind of glossed over and she became super still, until she screamed. And her scream is killer." The freckled girl nodded at Elena's story, Bonnie doing the same. Her hand found hers, her fingers curling around her own. She felt water spring behind her eyes, so she dropped them to the bed. "We've heard crazier, remember?" Carter's head popped up, and she looked at the genuine smile on Bonnie's face. "Hell, I'm a witch, apparently!" The small girl sprung off the bed and immediately wrapped herself around the tanned girl's body.

Laughter erupted everywhere, lighting the room up. "I love you guys," Carter told her friends, grabbing Elena by the shirt and pulling her into the hug. She laughed in her honey scented hair, and they both repeated her statement. She never expected to have friends like these two before. Not since after Bailey. She closed herself off and pushed everyone away. These two girls wouldn't let her do that. Not one bit. "So, Elena. How are you and Stefan?" Bonnie questioned, watching her friend's face change. "I don't know. We're so up and down." Carter rolled my eyes, falling back into the abyss of pillows. "And you and Matt?"

Bonnie hopped on top of the girl, her face inches from hers. She was batting her dark eyelashes cutely, begging for information on the couple. "We're great," she told Bonnie truthfully, shoving her off. She let out a laugh, pulling her knees to her chest. "So, the Founder's Ball?" Carter pulled herself up on her elbows, "What's that?" The two looked to her surprised. "I'm new around here, remember?" Elena face palmed, her nose scrunched up. "Right, right. Explain it, Bon." She shook her head, pointing an accusatory finger at the brunette. "Uh huh, you're the one participating."

She groaned loudly, watching smiles cross their faces. "Fine." Elena then started a big speech about this Ball. Apparently they held it when the actual founders were roaming the grassy planes. Girls would dress up in beautiful gowns and have escorts to compete for Miss Mistic Falls. It seemed rather boring to Carter, and a little outdated. "So, you and Caroline are in it?" she asked, scratching the back of her neck. The two nodded, eyeing her cautiously. "Is something wrong?" She laughed. When was anything right? Elena looked at Bonnie, and Bonnie looked at the strawberry blonde.

"What's wrong?" She began nervously twirling a lock of her hair around her first two fingers, avoiding all eye contact. "Caroline and I got into a little disagreement." They pressed on, both asking millions of questions in a matter of seconds. "I asked her why she didn't like me because she was accusing me of cheating on Matt with Stefan. And she told me I stole all of her friends away. I didn't mean to. We just kind of clicked, all of us. And I would never cheat..." Tears sprang to her eyes at the thought of hurting someone the way she was hurt. Especially Matt. She ferociously wiped at the falling tears, feeling so vulnerable.

That's when there was a knocking on the door. She sucked in a hard breath and smiled at her two best friends. "Looks like someone's here," she hummed, pushing Elena by the shoulder. The three teens snuck down the stairs, Elena first. Bonnie and Carter hid in the kitchen while Elena approached the door. Outside stood a large figure that Bonnie and the strawberry blonde tried to identify. "I bet it's Stefan," Carter whispered, seeing the brunette roll her eyes. "I bet so, too." They both tried to muffle their giggles, knowing how whipped the two were. They're always together, and always talking about each other.

Elena pulled the door open, and like they said, there stood Stefan. He was dressed warmly, hands hidden in his jeans pocket. "Hi," he said, and Elena's face beamed. "Hi." He smiled shyly at her, eyes focused on her face. "I just wanted to see you." Bonnie and Carter both knew she was blushing, her hand shakily moving her hair from her face. "Are you busy?" he asked, his eyes flickering toward the kitchen. The two eavesdroppers scrambled out of sight, silencing their heavy breaths. Vampire hearing, Carter knew he had heard them. She cursed under her breath as Elena stumbled over her words.

"No, I mean– Yes?" Bonnie held back a laugh when she looked back to see Stefan's confused look. "Let's sneak out," she whispered to the strawberry blonde, and she agreed. As silently as the two could, they tiptoed from the kitchen and snuck out the back door. Once running to the front of the house, they noticed Stefan was inside and the door was shut. Carter looked at Bonnie, seeing her already staring back at her.

"You know what this means?" she asked, wiggling her perfectly trimmed eyebrows. "What?" She grabbed her hand and they snuck to her car. "Girl's day!" she squealed, tossing her hands into the air. "First stop: Mystic Grill!"