CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Forty-Four
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

                ** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                  ˚ ˚

                   ✯

"Please, Carter. I'm picking up Heather and I will be right there. Okay?" Margaret Harmon spoke into her phone. Carter let out a sigh on the other end, squeezing her eyes shut. "Okay, whatever. Just.. don't embarrass me, okay?" Margaret laughed into the speaker, humming in response. "And don't talk to Matt, or anyone for that matter. Thanks!" The teen quickly hung up the phone, moving from the picnic table outside to her small group of friends. Everyone was with their parents, besides Tyler, Scott, Kaitlin, Jackson, and herself. They were all sort of going their own way, looking at different booths. The people standing behind the booths pursued great broadcasting, always excited to talk about the perks of their jobs, but never the cons.

"Hey, Cee," Bonnie greeted, fingers scratching at her neck. She had been doing that a lot lately. Why? Carter didn't know. "Hey, Bon. Anything you're interested in?" she asked the girl with a smile, fingering through the pamplets at the table. She shook her head, eyes darting across the room, observing every person and every corner of this event like some scared prey. She didn't question her, though. "How have you been, you know, since the funeral?" she asked the strawberry blonde. Her motions stilled, her lips pressing into a tight line. "Oh, um, yeah. I–" She stopped herself when she spotted the very familiar head of red curls enter the room, dressed in a nice pants suit. "Oh, sorry, my mom's here. Catch up later, okay?"

She didn't really give Bonnie enough time to respond before heading over to her confused looking mother. "What do you even do here? Take home papers and say you'll be this? Shouldn't there be classes?" She was rambling nervously, fingers pulling at the collar of her peach button up shirt. "Mom, it's okay. Its not that big of a deal," Carter told her with a sincere chuckle, watching her hazel eyes narrow at her daughter. "Margaret!" someone squawked, and after turning around, Carter realized it was Tyler's mother. The two embraced, making small talk, which left the girl no choice but to walk off.

She approached the booth for Broadcast journalism, smiling a bit to herself. She always wanted to be a reporter when she was young, but mostly for magazines and such. Bailey was always very supportive of the idea. Carter always had a great fashion sense, which gave her a shot at fashion blogging. She went to pick up a brochure when this sudden feeling washed over her. A darkness clouded above her head right when a hand gripped hers. "Carter Harmon, correct?" the voice asked. She peered shyly through her eyelashes, spotting Logan Fell, the guy from channel 9. "Yes. How do you know that?" she questioned, raising a single eyebrow. He chuckled at her question, withdrawing his hand from her own. "I like to know everyone in town. Especially those as lovely as you, and as smart as you."