CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Twenty-Six
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                      ˚ ˚

   "My ex boyfriend, a friend that is now his girlfriend, and my guy best friend that I had a summer fling with is coming to town this weekend and I don't know what to do, Elena," Carter continued to fuss, Elena walking alongside her as the two made their way to the school. She had been skipping– well, a lot of them were– since the attack on Vicki. A smile crossed Elena's face as she watched her friend talk animatedly about her current issue. "Maybe it's best for you," she suggested, waving at Caroline from across the parking lot. She bit down on her lip, shrugging her shoulders. Matt was talking with Tyler, tossing a football between his hands. "I don't know. What if something happens?" She looked sadly over at her best friend, watching the emotion flood her face. Her eyes weren't on her, though.

She turned her head to the side, spotting Stefan now joined with Matt and Tyler. He was talking, his hands moving to emphasize his words. Carter looked back at Elena, noticing she had began moving once again. "You okay?" she asked once caught up to her, feeling the tension thicken. She laughed sarcastically, her hands slapping against her thighs. "You know, a lot of people keep asking me that," she responded, shaking her head. Her eyes turned glossy with tears as she stopped in front of the school door. "And I don't think I know the answer anymore, Carter." Her voice cracked, pain and sadness laced within her voice. She reached forward, tucking a stray strand of her dark hair behind her ear. Involuntarily, a small smile fought it's way onto her face.

"You don't have to know the answer, because whether you're okay or not, Bonnie and I will be here. Always." Carter let her fingers glide against her cheek, dropping her arm to her side. She sniffled away the tears and nodded at her, flashing her pretty white teeth. "Thanks, babe. Really needed that." The two stood there for a few moments just looking at each other before busting into a laughing fit. Soon, she pushed the double doors open and the two girls were engulfed into the sea of students. They parted ways after discussing where to meet Bonnie after class and left for their lockers. Carter began putting in the combination to her lock when she felt a pair of hands craddle her shoulders.

"And she's back," he hummed, resting his chin on her shoulder. She let out a soft laugh, swinging the tin door open to gather her books. His lips pressed to her cheek slowly, his touch lingering and sending shocks of electricity through her body. All she felt was his breath against her face as he whispered about the football game next week and expressing how much he wanted her to be there. She turned her face to look at him, adoring the color of his eyes. "I'll be your biggest fan," she stated, seeing his cute smile grow on his face. With a quick peck to her full lips, he pulled away from her body, tossing his thumb in the direction of his locker. "See you." He walked away with a wink, leaving her a smiling mess.

She was about to shut her locker when it slammed closed in front of her face, Caroline's manicured fingers sliding away from the surface. "Hey, Carter," she cheered, fixing her purse strap over her shoulder. The strawberry blonde gave her a weird look before responding, "Hey, Caroline." The crowd of students began thinning out when the first bell rang. "I heard about the party," she told her, walking alongside her to History. She only nodded, unsure of what the blonde was getting at. Her fingers were fiddling with the strap of her bag, eyes not meeting hers. That's when she spit it out. "What's up with you and Stefan? I've seen you two hanging out. I thought you were with Matt?"

Carter looked at her strangely, stopping in her tracks. "Hold up," she started, hearing her swallow deeply. Her eyes were wide, trying to look innocent. "Are you accusing me of cheating on Matt?" the five foot three firecracker asked her, watching her flinch at the tone of her voice. "Oh my God!" She stayed silent, looking down at the floor. Her head not once dropped. "What did I do to you, Care? Why don't you like me?" Carter's voice raised. Anger started building up inside of her, a lump forming in her throat. Caroline's eyes looked anywhere but the girl in front of her, hands still pulling at her strap. "Answer me!" Carter screeched, her eyes snapping on her. She jumped at her voice, finally cracking.

"You took my friends away! You took everything!" Students watched as they passed, all looking excited only for a moment before the silence took over again. Carter rolled her eyes slowly, forcing herself not to hit her. "I haven't taken anyone from you, Caroline. Stop being so damn paranoid." She spat her words like poison before turning away from her and stomping towards class. She had about two minutes to make it, Caroline taking up three of the five she had.

She slipped through the door just as soon as the second bell rang. "Lucky you, Mrs. Harmon," Mr. Tanner sarcastically spoke in her direction, forcing a smile. "Sit down." She scurried to her seat beside Elena, keeping her head down as her fellow classmates snickered. Elena looked at her for a second, causing her to shake my head. She didn't push it. She only looked forward and awaited the lecture. Mr. Tanner began his teaching, and Carter was not interested. She rested her chin in her hand, chewing on the end of her ink pen absentmindedly.

"You killed him?"

She looked up, a cold shiver forcing it's way down her spine. Everyone was looking forward or writing notes, which probably weren't actual notes. She looked to Elena, seeing her typing on her cellphone. She supposed no one else heard that. Brushing it off, she rested her head once again in her palm and began sketching in her notebook. It started as just lines, but something else came out of it.

"You took my safe place from me, again."

Her hand scribbled away at paper, her eyes blurring. It's like she had no control over it. Soon, she saw a tree. It was dark out, the only light being that of the moon and stars. A man with no face stood at the trunk, looking at her. She was covered in blood, tears falling from her eyes. She was begging the man to leave her be; to get away from her. But he kept fighting her, telling her he was sorry. Her hand suddenly stopped once her pen fell through her fingers and to the floor. The clatter was loud, all heads turning toward her. Mr. Tanner, glaring at the poor girl, stopped his lecture and waited for her explanation.

"Um," she began, her cheeks heating all the way up to her ears, "I'm sorry?" People once again started snickering, only to be shushed by their evil history teacher. "As I was saying," he began again, and she internally groaned to herself. Scribbled on her paper was three bodies and a tree, the man looking too much like Damon..