CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Forty-Five
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                      ˚ ˚

Nightmares.

Nightmares are the dreams that come from the darkest part of your mind. They are usually conjured up by fear, unless they actually happened– or they are going to happen.

Carter found herself in a tunnel. No, more like a tomb.. She couldn't see much, the only light being from the moon overhead. A boy stood in front of her, his sandy hair quiffed. She recognized him from her history class. She felt a sigh of relief as a sigh fell from her lips and a name rolled off her tongue, "Stefan." Confusion wiped over her features as she backed away from him, unsure as of how she knew his name. Her back hit a hard substance, and she immediately whirled around to find the dark haired man with stunning blue eyes. "Damon," she whispered He reached out for her, but fear encased her.

She turned on her heel and ran down the long, dark tunnel. Placed were illuminated through the rails covering each small opening. She gasped when she found herself at a sudden stop, a girl she would recognize anywhere standing before her. Elena Gilbert. She stumbled toward the brunette with a grateful smile, yet stopped upon noticing the sick color of her skin. She wasn't the normal bronze color, she was a pale gray, her eyes flaring with hunger. "Elena?" Carter whispered, barely able to hear herself in the small cave. Her lips quirked into a smirk, a devilish chuckle rattling the walls. "Guess again, sweetheart."

Her voice was haunting, deeper than Elena's. Carter's heart pounded in her ears, and it felt like her whole body was going to collapse. "Run," she whispered, her eyes turning a deep shade of crimson, veins sprouting beneath her eyes like plant roots. A gasp slipped past the girl's full lips as she hurriedly turned, running as fast as she could from the monster that wore Elena's face. All she could hear was herr sharp breaths and the sound of snarls coming from all around her. "You can't hide forever, Carter!" another voice yelled at the trembling girl, the voice seeming vaguely familiar. She glanced over her shoulder, only to lose her footing over a large stone. The third voice sent chills down her spine, the hairs on her neck standing on end.