CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

╔═══════════════╗
Ephemeral
Chapter Thirty-Nine
╚═══════════════╝

                *☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩                  ┊         ┊       ┊   ✫                  ┊         ┊       ✩                     ...

** ゜゚** ゜゚** ゜゚**

                      ˚ ˚

                           "Hey, Carter. You know how Bonnie said she was a witch?"

Carter held the phone between her ear and shoulder as she unlocked the front door, humming in response. "So, I met this guy today and he swore up and down he knew Stefan." She stilled, her keys slipping right through her fingers. "Well, he did live here when he was younger, right?" she asked, bending to pick up the jingling metal. This sudden chill ran down her spine, as if someone was watching her. Once her fingers wrapped around her keys, she jerked up right and scanned her surroundings. "No, he said he recognized him from 1953." Her breath caught in her throat, which suddenly began to pulsate in pain.

She went to speak, but a cough broke out, this collapsing feeling overtaking her chest. "Carter? You okay?" She grumbled a confirmation, squeezing her throat in pain. It subsided soon enough, but she still had this awful feeling. "Maybe its just a coincidence. I mean, Stefan's family lived here, they were founders. Don't get too worked up over this, okay?" she finally responded with a dry tongue, hearing the Gilbert girl sigh on the other line. "Okay, see you tomorrow. Sleep tight." Carter smiled to herself as she pushed open the door, hearing a faint sound of someone fighting. "You too, Lena." she hung up the phone, looking toward the stairway. It sounded like Jackson and... someone.

She set her bag down when a girl came charging down the steps, her shoulder roughly bumping into Carter's. She was silent when she left, the door slamming behind her. Jackson then descended the stairs, a look of annoyance on his face. "Hey," he simply said, moving from the stairs and to the kitchen. Carter followed after him, seeing Jackie at the counter, chopping vegetables. "What was that about?" the strawberry blonde questioned with a faint smirk, sitting on a stool at the bar. He pulled open the fridge, fishing two water bottles, tossing the girl opposite him one. "I'm doing this project with her and she's angry that I have a completely different opinion than she does. So, I refused to put her name on the project." He shrugged like nothing was wrong.