Chapter 1: Prospect

*Author's Note To Readers: In the journal entries and letters which help to tell this story set in 1660's England, some words appear to be spelled or written incorrectly. But these are all intentional changes. Few people were able to read or write in this time period, so standard spelling didn't exist yet. Even well-educated, intelligent people would spell phonetically or hyphenate some words. So, these changes strive to be historically accurate. Thank you.*

Part I: Winter

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be." -- William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Chapter 1: Prospect

December, 1665

On the seventh night of Christmas, the air was cool and still. The sky was clear, lit by a full white moon and dotted with bright stars. The English countryside was quiet and snug under a thick blanket of snow.

Yet the dreary weather didn't faze Will. On that chilly December night, Augustus's green eyes made Will feel the warmth of a pleasant spring day, even while surrounded by snow and ice.

Something potent coursed through Will when he saw him again. It seemed to hit every vein.

Despite the rush, he couldn't detect the source of this sudden feeling.

Weeks later, Will finally knew what this strange sensation was, and upon its discovery, this feeling was as agonizing as it was enticing: he was completely and utterly smitten with Augustus.

~*~

Augustus stepped into the Garnetts' home, his family in tow. Will shook his head slightly as he closed his eyes; why had he been staring at Augustus just now? He straightened out his sky-blue jacket and tried to seem nonchalant. Augustus didn't look this different when they were twelve. How much could three years really change a person?

But this strange feeling subsided when he realized something much more concerning:

Augustus looked absolutely miserable.

He was pale and anxious, shuffling uncomfortably under his scarlet red-and-gold jacket. Not even the cheery holiday atmosphere seemed to ease his mood.

This wasn't surprising, of course. It had been a rough few weeks for their family-friends. The children had been invited to stay after London's Plague had taken sweet little Susan, the Blacks' youngest. Now their parents were determined to save the two, no matter the emotional cost of living apart temporarily.

As they moved through Will's home, what was familiar to him seemed to be overwhelming for Augustus. His eyes were glued to the shining black-and-white tiles of their Entrance Hall. A half-dozen servants buzzed around Augustus's family, acquiring their luggage, and directing towards the feast awaiting them in the dining room.

"There we are, Sir." Marcus said cheerfully, taking Augustus's satchel from him to bring it upstairs.

"Thank you." was his immediate reply,"but...you needn't call me Sir." he quietly objected.

Marcus, though he towered over Augustus at just under six foot, was gentle as a lamb by nature. He merely smiled at him cordially. "Think nothing of it; it's part of my role."

Augustus silently nodded and moved on.

Their sisters were chatting as they continued down the hallway.