Chapter 22: Sweetest Sixteen

July

July 12th, 1666

Half-Eight in the Evening

It is to be my birth-day soon and I happily wait for it. We are to be using space by the River Wey and I am to see many of my friends whom I haven't seen lately. including several who weren't at the Masque. I am so excited to share my day with every-one, and things are going very well with Augustus. I am very content.

I've been thinking it over lately and I must say this past six months have been remarkable! My life was so dreary then and Augustus was miserable too. It's like we came together just in time to save each other. I'm so grate-full for him.

Getting older does not feel like so much pressure any-more. I feel like I have more things to look forward to than I ever have. Things are going so well with him, but not so with all aspects of my future.

Alas, my parents are still fairly insistent that I "take the business", but I want to carve out my own future. I genuinely want to do two things: write and help people to make their lives better. I'm not sure how those two things will come together as some sort of career but I do genuin-ley want to do so.

If I can write, help others and be with Augustus, I shall be perfectly content. I don't need excessive money or fancy things. I just want to be happy.

~*~

During the day of his birthday, Will's home was happily buzzing with activity. Food for the party was cooked and prepared all day long. Back and forth went carts of decorations and outdoor furniture to a clearing by Wey River. Will helped with the supplies, but was shooed out of the kitchen three separate times, lest he get a glimpse of his birthday cake.

He bounded excitedly from place to place, eager for festivities.

In late afternoon, family and friends began to gather. H'orderves were served, conversations and happiness lit up the evening.

"Fancy meeting you here." A happy, light voice chirped.

Augustus turned around and his face lit up. "I didn't know you were coming!" He excitedly embraced his mother.

"Well, we wanted to see you and Mary again. This was the perfect occasion to surprise you. You seem like you're doing well."

"It's been great here; except I've missed you of course. But I am doing well...I'm learning to read! And write!" He proudly exclaimed.

"That's wonderful!" Caroline exclaimed, clasping her hands in delight. "I've always wanted to read."

"I'll teach you sometime, when I get good enough."

"I'd love to try that." She agreed with a nod.

"So how've you and father been? Gotten better, I hope?"

"Quite well. I found a steady job as a seamstress! Your father found better labor work too."

"Can we come back with you?" He pleaded with hopeful eyes. Was that why they had come?

Caroline sighed as she looked down at her son. She had to protect her children, and right now that still meant not living with them--yet.

"To be completely honest, the region where we found work in the City isn't particularly safe for you children, and we don't want anything to happen to either of you. Once we save up enough, we'll find a better place for all of us."

Will found Augustus and was also happily surprised to see his parents there.

"Well, you've found quite the company!" Will cheerfully said, happily grinning as he approached Augustus and his mother.