Chapter 11: Give & Take

A few minutes after he finished his coffee, Uncle Deus was preparing to leave the Garnetts' when he had an unexpected detour on his way out.

He'd almost reached the front door to begin packing his carriage back to the City when someone asked for his help.

"Uncle, can you come here for a moment?" Lily asked from the hallway, now done with the feed.

"Gladly, my dear." 

She led him up the stairs to her room and closed the door. He waiting patiently as she rummaged through various papers.

"Do you remember Meg?" she asked him while searching through her trunk.

"Your--governess?" he replied, leaning against her vanity.

"Yes. She started right after my birthday in September. Once she saw how well I did my basic arithmetic, she brought me a few books that had more advanced work for me while I studied the primer you gave me. I even made copies of the work I did to help Will. When father caught word of Meg giving extra work, she had to go. Thank God he never saw this." Lily heaved a sigh of relief, tossing her Merchanting primer on her bed next to her.

"Here it is!" she brightly chirped, brandishing her work proudly. She bounded over to him, and handed him dozens of pages, eager to share her clandestine studies.

"I think Mother was trying to help me, though." she pondered, tapping her chin. "She made excuses, how 'difficult' finding a new girl would be. I hid the work we did here when she left in December. Nearly four months of work, plus the accounts! But it might not be safe here. Can you keep it for me, please?"

"With pleasure, ma'am." he smiled as he tipped his hat. But then he paused, feeling much more serious.

"You're so bright."

He looked down at Lily, bright-eyed and brimming with potential. He wished he could make over the world just for her talent to openly thrive. "I'm quite literally sorry my brother can't see it."

"Has he always been this stubborn?" she asked, sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Oh, yes. It was one thing he and your mother always had in common." he paused, squinting. "Not...much else come to think of it."

"What were they like before they married?" she asked, now reorganizing her papers and placing them in her trunk.

"About the same as they are now although your mother was...less cynical. They didn't know each other very well."

"Do you think he really loves her?"

"Perhaps in his own quiet way." he replied, unsure of how accurate his answer was. "He certainly provides for her."

"Yes, but that's not the same thing as love." Lily pointed out, frowning.

"I suppose not. What inspired you to ask?" he peered at her, rather concerned.

"I've already seen them fuss over Will with Sarah. How long until I'm slated to be with a man I hardly know?" she worried, looking up at him nearly without hope.

"I want to eventually marry; but I want to pick him. And I want him to...take my abilities seriously. But I doubt that's possible."

She sighed, and looked out the window for a moment. There were so many things she wasn't allowed to have.

"I can't imagine a boy who appreciates me the way I want him to."

Uncle Deus sat beside her. "Well in the meantime, your intellect will be safe with me." he assured, neatly placing the parchments neatly together and tucking it under his arm.