Chapter 3: A New Day

January, 1666

What felt like moments later, Augustus opened his eyes to a bright January morning. He felt his awareness fade, slipping back into a relaxing haze. But the sunlight being reflected on the crisp white snow pulled him into the moment. It was a new year, and he wanted to change.

He roused slowly, coming to reality and recognizing where he was. He sat up in the large bed, grateful for the heavy blankets. They were crimson-colored velvet and smooth to the touch. He almost didn't want to get out of bed; he was cocooned in the warmest bedroom he'd probably ever inhabited. The blanket even had matching bed curtains! 

But he placed his feet on the floor and they agreed with the rest of his body, keeping warm against the atmosphere with the thick white carpet. He slowly approached the window, and peered outside. He was interested in his first view of his new home. He wasn't just a guest now, and he wanted to learn about his surroundings.

It was a typical January morning in the English countryside. Thin bits of frost littered the sparse grass. Several piles of snow had already been neatly shoveled off to one side of the yard.

He noticed the horses in their stables, chomping on a breakfast of what appeared to be mixed vegetables.

A few people he didn't recognize were outside getting things ready for the day, milling around like ants on a patch of white sand.

He paused as he noticed an ailing, spindly ash tree in the Garnetts' front yard. It was short, which made its decay unusual.

Too little to die, he thought.

He shivered, and couldn't tell if he'd caught a recent breeze or if he reacted that strongly to his own thoughts. But he refused to let his feelings linger.

He turned back to where he had gotten up, and chose to get ready and dressed for the day. He was determined to make his life anew.

Yet he felt out of place as he dressed in his faded breeches and lightly frayed shift. After a quick calculation, he realized the bed sheets he'd just slept in cost ten times more than his stockings. Yes, he'd tried to look fashionable in his splendid coat, but new clothes were a rare treat for him. It wasn't as though his parents could afford a whole new wardrobe.

He wanted his new home to be filled with good memories. He had to stop his unhealthy focus on the darker parts of his past. He was ready to do everything he could to break free from his prolonged melancholy.

He walked downstairs, turned a slight corner and entered the sunny dining room. It was lit up by large windows, which let in the same sunlight he'd noticed upstairs. They highlighted the blue painted walls, along with white-and-gold tapestries.

Such a bright scene seemed impossible in winter, but again the snow aided the sun's luminance

He saw the decadent spread he'd barely noticed last night: cream-colored dishes and silver utensils resting in their exact position, eagerly waiting to be used. The fancy plates and cutlery shone in the light, on a cherry wood table complete with a lace tablecloth.

And there was Will's mother enjoying her morning tea. He was still rattled by his morbid confessions last night, but tried to be a good house guest.

"Morning. Happy new year." he nervously said, waiting for her to look up.

"Good morning. To you also." she brightly replied, smiling at him. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you. Um..." he looked around, unsure of his place in his new home. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Don't feel obligated, you're a guest." she smiled, then looked out the window in thought for a moment.