Chapter 31: Free Will!

Sarah --

Things aren't going well--at all. I didn't tell you this before and pre-tended nothing was wrong because I didn't want to make this worse. We pretended everything was fine when you were here. But truth will out, so alas.

My parents accidentally found and intentionality read my journal, so they obviously found out about myself and Augustus. They punish'd me by kepeing it from me. One of so few places I could be myself. This was last month, not long after my birthdaye.

My mother was furious at such dis-obedience. We had an awfull fight. I broke an important heirloom and went into a panic. She blames Augustus for "ruining" me and put him in a separate room. She has gone on numerous tirades about our lack of morals, so we've been fighting ever since.

When I had you over so oftene a few wekes ago, that was all a ploy to pretend I chose you over Augustus to get them to leave us alone for a short while, but stopped when I saw how much it hurt him. He was worth it.

After various disasters like my parents ordering Uncle Deus to leave when he tried to stand up for us, and Augustus physi-cally attacking my father, my parents devised a truce of sorts. I attend a meeting about the business and agree to take the role they expect of me. In exchange they would stop harassing me and the 'situation' with Augustus. I didn't believe them, but on the off-chance they were being honest, I took the meeting anyway.

But things only got worse when my mother as she claims "accidentally" gave my journal to our investors instead of their business plan at the end of our meeting that had otherwise gone well. They were in similar booklets, so I'm still un-decided if she's lying, and they were appall'd. Turns out there are lawes against our relations! So they sent it to a lawyer they know, out of sheer spite. They told my parents they did so, and that they would return to discuss it with them.

So in a few day's time, one of the investors came back and ordered Mother to forge my name to request a Triyal for us with-out a Jury. If not, they lose their business deal with the investors, our mortgage and maybe even our home. They would also press charges against my parents for harboring us. Mother didn't know what the full punishment would be. She assured it'd be a fine or maybe jailed for some time, so she took that risk. Not knowing we could be kill'd for it! She selfishly chose to save herself and Father, and now a date is set.

I knew it was seen as wrong, but against the law?! How in God's name were either of us supposed to know that?!

I've never been more terrified in my life. Please don't turn me away, even if you think it's wrong. Now that my personal life is becoming public knowledge, I am running out of people I can trust.

The Tiyal is in London on 30 August. Please write back when you can.

- Will

"Oh my God!" Sarah exclaimed, frantic. Her eyes landed heavily upon his words. They traveled down the page of Will's despondent letter, her fear growing. Anxiety and rage flooded her mind-how could Will's parents just let this happen?

James was mucking the stables nearby. He dropped his rake and sprinted over to her. "What's wrong?"

"I got a letter from Will." She began, voice shaking. "He-he's in trouble. And Augustus. They both are. This is awful!" She clung to James in a panicked frenzy, letter crumpled in her fist.

"What does it say?" James asked, moving her back to stand up straight and look at her directly.

"Well..." Sarah twisted her hands nervously, breaking eye contact with James.