Chapter 13: Designs on Sarah

April

A few days later, the boys discussed their situation. Excitement arose quickly, but Will started to stress over what would happen if his parents found out. Augustus was nonchalant about anyone noticing the situation.

Will, on the other hand, was thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong.

"Yes, but I'm not trying to amorously persuade your parents, I'm--" Augustus took hold of Will's shoulder and turned him back from his nervous pacing to resume eye contact. "I'm trying to amorously persuade you." He smoothly cooed, with a gentle stroke of his cheek.

Will looked at Augustus, mesmerized by his beautiful green eyes. He was there, he was ready and waiting for his affection. Will wanted to kiss him so much, hold him close...

But his eyes snapped to the door. Where were his parents right now?

"Do you notice how serious they are about plans with Sarah?" He asked.

"Yes, but I don't care." Augustus shrugged. All Will had to do was say nothing about it and go to boring meetings with Sarah. Wasn't that it?

"I'm obligated to them. They're my family. I have to at least go along with what they say, and hope they don't notice this." He sank down onto a nearby couch.

"I'm sure they can't be that serious about her already." Augustus replied, leaning on the couch.

"Actually, they are." Will paused, weighing the consequences of revealing the dreadful schedule he'd discovered weeks ago. It still haunted him.

"All right." He began in a hushed tone. "I found something, a few weeks ago. I found this schedule...they've planned out dates for meetings, an engagement, they want a wedding-"

"They know when they want you to get married?!" Augustus cried, shocked.

"Shh!" Will sharply hissed, nervously glancing at the door.

He leaned into Augustus cautiously. "Yes. Their commitment to this is serious! And now, I have to hide being with you."

Augustus's hand snapping to his hip. "I'm sorry, is my interest in you suddenly a burden?"

"No, but--"

"You know, if you don't want to be with me, just say so." Augustus began to stalk towards the door.

"Wait," Will grabbed his wrist as he started to walk away. "I really do want to be with you; I'm sorry. I'm just...scared."

"Of what?" Augustus came back and sat beside Will.

But he sounded as though he'd already been defeated as he stared at the floor. "Everything, everyone. It all feels like pressure right now. I think judgment is what I'm dreading." He looked over at Augustus. He couldn't let his fear control his life. What kind of a life would that be?

"But I really want to be with you and I think about it; all the time. And to be completely honest, I do think it's worth it. And we can keep it to ourselves alright."

Augustus smiled in response.

"Actually, I don't think you're worth it." Will paused and shook his head, as Augustus looked confused and mildly offended again. 

He smiled at him. "I know you're worth it."

"You mean that?" Augustus asked, eyes shining.

"Wouldn't say it if I didn't." Will replied, grinning.

Augustus made no reply. Words would do nothing here. Words weren't enough.

He just kissed him instead.