Chapter 4: Class Conflict

Sarah Brighton was heading home. It had been a good week of Christmas celebration with her extended family. She'd played with her young twin cousins, watching as they pranced around the living room. Plus, her great Aunt had made an extra mincemeat pie to take home.

As they approached the front gate, she saw a boy she didn't recognize and guessed he was about her age. His back was to her, so the first thing she noticed was his long hair. It was tied back, yet scattered across his shoulders in soft waves of dark brown. He was leading a black colt across the yard on frosted grass. When she saw his tight blue breeches and black boots, she watched his slim figure move with a sort of unintentional grace.

Her carriage slowed to a stop and her father was the first to exit. As she followed her mother across the yard, her curiosity peaked.

"Who is that?" she whispered, leaning into her mother.

"Oh, Sarah, this is James." Natalie explained as he turned to them. "He's come to work with the horses."

Once the boy turned, Sarah was met with soft grey eyes. She awkwardly stood, clutching the thick metal pie plate and couldn't think of a single word to say.

"Hello, Miss." he said.

"I'm--Sarah." she flashed a nervous smile at him, hoping she looked confident.

"Very pleased to meet you." she added, holding out her hand.

"Pleasure's all mine." he replied with a handshake. His hands were rough against her black lambskin gloves. He smiled just for a moment, then returned to his task.

~*~

Over the next few weeks, Mary and Augustus were trying to settle in and become more comfortable in their new home. They were away from the crowds and filth, and much of the country's violent crime.

Augustus's depression had finally ceased and it was easier to be out of his shell, but he still felt out of place being in the upper class.

At dinner one night, he watched Hannah circle the table with their food and couldn't help but wonder what her life was like outside of her daily chores. Where was her family? Did she have any siblings? Were they put to work too? He knew many children had to work, but still didn't like a twelve year-old assigned to be at his beck and call.

While she was close to Lily's age, she looked much younger. Her hands were quite small, and her white apron was almost too big for her.

As he watched her carefully spoon out a course of soup, he spoke up.

"Thank you, Hannah." he said, carefully holding his bowl still for her.

"You're welcome, sir." she cheerily replied, grinning.

"You—you don't have you call me 'sir'." he shook his head.

"No need to thank them." Margaret briskly said, jumping into their conversation for no reason whatsoever.

"Of course there is." Augustus countered, gaping at Margaret, disgusted. "It took her three hours to make that. It doesn't hurt to be grateful."

"You don't need to thank someone for doing as they're expected." she quietly insisted, leaning into him over the table.

"Besides, it sets a bad precedent." she continued with a pretentious flutter, leaning back in her chair, wine in hand. "They'll want adulation for everything."

"Oh, really." he shot back, his face hardening with a cool sneer as she sipped. "Tell me, when is it appropriate to express gratitude?"

Will gulped and put a hand on Augustus's arm.