Chapter 16: Lily Blooms

S.Harageones

Sign Out

Book 1: Burnt Bliss

Edit

Free

Published in 2021-04-16 02:21:18

2902Words

May

One morning in early May, Lily woke up to an un-welcomed surprise. She opened her eyes and was immediately distracted by sharp, stabbing pains pulsating through her lower abdomen. She lay for a moment, but grimaced when she slowly sat up, clutching her stomach. She slowly pulled her covers back and looked down, hoping she was wrong, hoping it wasn't what she assumed it was.

It can't be. No...

She groaned in discomfort and flopped back down on her bed, disappointed.

Lily didn't have an issue with mensuration itself; she knew it would happen. The issue was her brand-new ability to have children.

She sat back up in a start, now panicked. An ability to become pregnant meant only one thing: forced marriage.

Not only would her mother be thrilled with the news, it was actually something she'd asked Lily about. Only once or twice, in the appropriate setting, of course. "Something a proper woman would never mention around men."

She assured Lily that she was concerned for her health. That may have been true, but there was still her ulterior motive--orchestrating a financially gainful marriage.

Just like Will's arrangement with Sarah, it would be an emotionless matter of business, money and legacy. She would happily fling her daughter in the direction of a total stranger for the sake of prosperity. Her lone defense against this push was hiding her new secret.

As these thoughts flooded her mind, a shot of panic coursed through her. She left her bed and anxiously looked about, confirming that both Mary and Elizabeth had already gone downstairs.

"Thank God they're not here." She whispered, grabbing her silk bathrobe and wrapping it around her body.

She quickly swept her hair back and dashed into the hall, notifying a servant.

"Marcus! Get a girl up here now!" She paused, not wanting to seem rude. "Please."

"Yes Miss. Right away." He stopped his current task and left to seek help.

A moment later, Lily's usual attendant Missy came upstairs and found her in a panicked frenzy. She'd stripped the top sheet off her bed and was halfway done removing the next. Her blankets and pillows lay in a jumble on the floor.

"Take these." She hurriedly said, almost shoving the sheets to her. "Wash them straight away if you can, please."

"What happened? Are you feeling alright, Miss?"

"I--I..." She faltered. She sank down on her unmade bed, hating this morning already.

She stared at her lap, fussing with the belt of her blue floral robe. "My sheets this morning...were...um..."

Missy looked closer at the wrinkled bundle of sheets in her arms. Yes, there were red stains, currently ruining

Lily's white sheets and potential freedom.

"Oh..." She looked back up at Lily who was almost crying.

"Just-" She took a deep shuddering breath as she arose from her bed, begging for mercy with her eyes. "--just one thing, please? Don't let my mother know. This would not do me any good."