Chapter 7: Cusp

In late February, Augustus turned sixteen. His birthday​ was snowy and cold, but it didn't dampen his spirits.

Will's Uncle Amadeus had stopped by to celebrate.

"I've brought you something but it's big, so I couldn't wrap it." Augustus stood, puzzled. But after Uncle Deus walked in--his parents were behind him! He rushed up and flung his arms around them.

"Oh, thank you Mr. Garnett!" he cried happily.

"Please, " he replied with a wave of his hand, "you can call me Uncle Deus. And you're very welcome."

Mary and Augustus each took their parents in hand and they all walked down the Entrance Hall together. After an enjoyable lunch, everyone gathered in the living room, Augustus's presents waiting.

Will asked politely to go first. He was excited about his gift. He had written about it only a few days ago when it arrived:

My gift for Augustus has arrived at last! It's a pineapple, a sweet fruit from abroad. It is a very expensive, rare treat growne only in tropicale places. it's yellow on the inside, green on top and has spines on the out-side. I had no qualms using almost two monthe's pocket-money for a single gift. I hope he likes it...

"All right, this is for you," Will reached back and held out the gift. Augustus gladly took it.

"I've seen these in the city before, people trade them all the time!" he exclaimed. "What is it?" he looked up, glinting, inquisitive eyes adorning his face.

"It's called a pineapple. It's a fruit. It's rare, and tropical--"

"And expensive." Margaret added. "A bit excessive, don't you think?" she asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes, well, it's a gift." Will turned to his mother, with a confidant stare. "Surely something for a special occasion can be a bit costly. You understand." he held his stare. His mother couldn't deny her own materialism.

"So shall we eat it later?" Augustus suggested, giddy over his present.

"Eat it?! Goodness, no!" Margaret exclaimed before Will had a chance to speak. "It's a symbol of one's wealth. You place it on your mantle for guests to see when they arrive. Anyone who can afford one keeps them on their mantle for weeks!"

"Yes, right up until it rots." Will retorted, rolling his eyes. He had little interest in status symbols.

"Because they can afford another one!" Margaret argued.

Will frowned as his glared hardened on his mother. This was for Augustus, not her! "Well, it's Augustus's gift, we should let him decide what to do with it, shouldn't we?"

Margaret heaved a sigh. "I suppose." she replied, tossing her slim body back on her calico-printed chair, still miffed. How could anyone even contemplate wasting such an expensive delicacy by eating it?

"How about a compromise?" Augustus cheerfully suggested. "We cut it in half. One half we eat, the other half you can put on your mantle and it will fit right up against the wall."

"What a clever solution!" Lily piped up. Mary nodded in agreement and grinned at her brother.

"This is from us girls." she chirped, handing her brother a small wooden tablet, with a handle on one end and paper carefully glued to either side of it.

"Well, now, what is this?" he examined the papers: letters neatly etched onto it in a row, with blank space beneath it. The other side had rhymes carefully written on them in excellent penmanship.