Chapter 18: Spring Fever

Now that she had drunkenly confessed her feelings and kissed him, Sarah couldn't help but think about what she wanted with James. She stared out the window of the living room, wondering how she could be closer to him.

It was only two days after the Masque and so far James had been polite, but seemed to avoid long interactions with her. As Sarah watched him work in the stables, she almost got dizzy from the thick heat that hung in the air. She looked down and realized she was still wearing her wool layers. Spring was now in full effect, and she needed to put on a lighter dress and discard her winter attire.

Moments later, Sarah sat on her bed in the sweltering heat, annoyed by the half-dozen layers of underthings she was currently wearing. Not anymore: it was time to banish her wool stockings and cumbersome extra layers until September. Thus, she began to shed her heavy clothes.

She slipped on lighter silk stockings and started to fuss with the laces on her heavy petticoat. It was time for her spring one, but she was stuck. Her fingers tugged at a knot in the laces.

Frustrated, she gave up for a moment and flopped back on her bed. She missed the refreshing sea. She wanted to go swimming. Suddenly, she recalled her intense dream about James the night before her birthday.

The water was cool, his imagined affections were enticing. Maybe someday they'd actually go to the beach. She reached down and pulled at the knot once more. It finally came loose and she laid a moment more, petticoats half off, enjoying the release from her overburdened layers. Now free from the strain, she was halfway asleep when a knock on her door awoke her. She sat up in a start.

"Miss? I've just come by to return your dress. The feathers have been tended to."

"Thank you. I'm sorry, I was just..." She mumbled as she sat up, "changing." She was happy for her light, fluffy petticoat. She carefully tightened the waistline and selected her afternoon dress, a light blue muslin frock. She decided to skip her extra layers and only wore one set of stockings. She felt free, and knew exactly what she wanted. Perhaps she would see what James was up to, but then remembered: she needed an excuse.

So she grabbed a basket and nearly skipped out of the house. She began to wander among her family's small cherry grove, happily picking the fresh produce, filling her basket with the small, sweet fruits. The weather was beautiful--the skies were clear, the grass was healthy and bright. The sunlight was spotted from between the branches and leaves. She strolled along the perfect mix of sun and shade as her muslin gown gently swished among the dewy grass. The glittery moisture danced on the blades of grass, dusted along the fresh green slivers.

As she went, she thought about what she wanted with James. She cast off her inhibitions and decided she'd pursue him. So she happily daydreamed as she went from tree to tree: how could she flirt with James covertly? She knew he liked her. She also knew it was seen as wrong. But if no one else noticed, they wouldn't get in trouble. She would risk being with James, assuming they wouldn't get caught. But was James willing to risk that?

He had tried to politely keep his distance. He was desperate to ignore his feelings for Sarah ever since they'd kissed. But she wasn't giving up that easily.

"James, look. First of the year. Want one?"

James looked up from adjusting Nora's new bridle and saw Sarah before him, a teasing grin complimenting her bright eyes. He stared intently, surprised, and set the bridle down on the bench next to him.

"Are those--cherries?!" He got up to observe her findings.

"First of the season. I just picked them from the orchard. Come have one."