Chapter 14: Culture Shock

"Nell Gwyn is a vision on-stage." Uncle Deus declared, setting down his wine.

Will's family plus Uncle Deus, Augustus and Mary sat at the dinner table together, candles still lit and burning low. The empty dishes scattered in front of them were slowly slipping off to the kitchen, one by one. Their meal had finished about fifteen minutes ago and they'd been chatting ever since.

Uncle Deus was eager to expose Will, Lily and Augustus to London's re-emerging theatre scene at their play the following night, per Augustus's birthday gift. Margaret, true to form, found something to complain about and judge.

"And not much better than a common trollop, either!" She coldly snapped.

"Yes well, you haven't seen her on stage. Her presence, her wit, and the costumes they make 'specially for her are superb!"

"Fine, she's a trollop in a nice dress." She whined, leaning back in her chair and folding her arms. After a moment she selected a sugar bowl in front of her and gently stirred some into her tea.

"And she's a mistress of the king, you know." She reminded him in a gossipy tone before sipping her tea.

"Oh, how many mistresses does the king have! At least she has talent."

He paused before responding again, looking at the younger family members and leaned in to his sister-in-law, speaking in a quieter, more stern tone:

"Better talents than most of his mistresss, none of which I shall mention in front of the children."

Both Will and Augustus snickered at this, but Margaret went silent; her face twisting in discomfort. She didn't know how to reply to an allusion to sex, even one so vague as that. She set down her tea and couldn't think of anything to say.

"Besides, we were going to see a comedy but at the last minute I've decided on a drama with Mary Saunderson as the star. Satisfied?"

"Acting is still complete nonsense." She retorted in disdain.

~*~

Uncle Deus, the thoughtful man that he was, had planned their trip carefully.

Whenever he gave presents, he was very intentional and made sure they had sincere meaning. One year, he gave Will classic philosophy he knew he'd enjoy, which started a new focus for his constant writings. And last fall, he (secretly) gave Lily a copy of an accounting primer a friend had recently re-published as a birthday gift. He gave it to her hoping to further her education without her parents noticing. She'd used it many times doing Will's endless requests from their father.

And so this trend continued now. At first, he was planning on treating his niece, nephew and Augustus to a Restoration comedy.

He was a fan of the most popular actress at the moment--and yes, a favourite of King Charles--the young Nell Gwyn. "Pretty, witty Nell" had become especially famous for her comedic styling and good looks.

The main point of Augustus's gift had initially been a chance for new experiences, but after noticing the interplay of his relationship with Will, Uncle Deus decided on something a bit more serious.

Since Augustus was still learning how to read, a copy of five acts full of Shakespeare's drama wouldn't do. But he had something very important to say to the young couple about their relationship, and hoped this was a subtle way to express his loving concern.

They arrived in the late afternoon the next day, eager to see their performance.

The sun was starting to settle and the air cooled as they made their way inside. Neither Will, Augustus or Lily had ever been to a theater before. The venue was large and had rows of long benches which coiled around the stage in the center of the room.