Chapter 28: The Ways of Love

In early August, Sarah's parents were going on a trip for a few days, visiting friends who were considering doing business with her family. Sarah had chosen to stay back and mind the house for the next few days. She felt she needed a break from all the talk her parents had done with Will's over the past few months. She hoped for a long engagement--to eventually break it off, somehow--but Margaret kept dropping hints of wedding plans.

"Promise to be good while we're away?" Natalie playfully quipped, leaning into her daughter as they walked out of their home.

"I'll do my very best." She replied, linking arms with her mother as they approached her carriage.

"I hope it goes well with their account. Tell everyone I said hello." She said, hugging her mother, then handing her luggage to a nearby servant.

"That's our hope." Her father said, joining them, satchel in hand. She hugged him as well before he climbed into the carriage.

"Good luck!" She called out, waving good-bye as they pulled away.

As she walked back inside, she felt a remarkable surge of freedom overtake her. She decided her first move while temporarily in charge was that she'd give the servants the night off, let them retire early.

"Go on, take the evening off, really." She encouraged, happily waving them off. "We've already eaten, and if I want anything, I'll just come ask."

Various assistants thanked her as they happily walked off.

"Oh, but James." She cooed sweetly, just as he was about to leave the room.

He turned around, face scrunched up in confusion. "Uh, yes?"

"Would you help me with something upstairs, please?" She purred, flashing a radiant smile.

"If--you...need me to." His speech was fragmented with apprehension. He'd rarely gone upstairs as it wasn't his usual post.

As he watched Sarah ascend the stairs, he started to understand why she was doing this. Her light pink gown swished in front of him as she climbed higher. He nervously readjusted his shift and ran a hand through his dark hair.

Once he reached her doorway, he paused, and quietly gulped, still a bit anxious as he stood motionless. What was he doing?! Wasn't this against the rules?

He looked around, noting all he saw. He'd never been in Sarah's room before, and had always wondered what it looked like.

The light pink walls were half painted, with light brown calico prints adorning the bottom half. Beautiful sconces caught his eye, along with light pink silk curtains on the large windows on the far wall.

Her fireplace had crown moulding and a freshly lit small fire. A large mirror with gold trim gleamed above it in the light of early evening.

Her soft-looking bed had lush white blankets and a dark bed frame, to match her cherry wood boudoir. The side table next to her bed held a gold trident of currently unlit candles.

His eyes scanned the pretty room, but still felt hesitated, assuming he might be doing something he shouldn't. But he was technically invited here and he couldn't refuse, as Sarah was technically in charge.

Sarah approached her side table and struck a match. Her hands were trembling so much, she almost knocked the candles over. But she had to maintain her confidence.

"Come on in." She murmured looking back with a smoldering gaze.

Looking around nervously, he took a small step forward. He was now in her room.