Chapter 26: Blood In The Water

Will tried to breathe.

But his mother's bony hands were still clenched around his neck.

"You heartless scourge!" She shrieked in his ear, still choking him.

"How could you!" she ranted, tussling with him at the foot of the stairs.

He tugged at her hands, but they did nothing to pry her off. He was gasping and sputtering as she yelled on and on. His feet scrambled underneath him, trying to escape her. He couldn't even process what she was saying.

Augustus quickly appeared after hearing the commotion. He rushed down the stairs so fast he almost slid.

Margaret let Will go and he gasped, falling to the floor.

"What is wrong with you?!" Augustus cried.

"Me?!" she yelled, shoving him. "YOU are the problem here!"

"And what exactly have I done?" he shot back.

"You have corrupted him. Ruined my family!" she raged, pinning him against the wall.

"Oh, really." he retorted. "And how do you propose to know I've done anything of the sort?"

"They-" Will croaked, still wheezing for air as he stood. "read it."

It hit Augustus. He'd left Will's journal downstairs! Margaret must've found it!

His eyes widened. His line of defense disappeared. Shit.

"You horrid, disgusting little wretch!" she cried, pinning him again.

"We bring you into this home and you do nothing but ruin us!" she ranted, slapping him.

Will rushed over and planted himself between his mother and Augustus.

"GET AWAY FROM HIM!"

Will shoved his mother away, fury raging through him.

He'd never been violent to women. To anyone.

But this was different. His mother had accessed something deeper and darker, now beyond her usual condescension.

Sadly, neither of them had picked up on Margaret's ​obsessive study.

Even back in the spring, when she had only a vague impression of their true relationship, she'd been suspicious.

Even when her husband dismissed her concerns.

Even when it seemed unfathomable that Will would deviate this much, and be this certain he could do anything he wanted.

Yet once it was clear that Will didn't care for Sarah-and Margaret realised the impact on her own prosperity-she got even more suspicious.

And ever since his birthday, she was willing to make her move by watching them, as a tiger waiting in cool grass. She saw Will with Sarah, nervous and silent as they met again.

Later​ that same day with Augustus he was carefree and open: laughing, chatting away, even holding hands! There was no comparison.

But she needed an in, with definite proof. She was slowly circling them, waiting and watching.

They detected no sense of danger in the hushed silence around them.

Her prey was blissfully unaware.

Until she pounced.

The pages of his transgressions were laid bare, and her teeth sank into​ Will's neck.