Chapter 32: Illicit Tryst

Augustus opened his eyes, not remembering where he was. He laid on the docks of the Thames. His shift clung to his back from small puddles on the wood beneath him. The sound of boats pulling in had forced him awake. It was only 5 o'clock in the morning, so it was still mostly dark.

The grey skyline held a small, pale light that would later be the sun peeking in from the East. The moon was slowly dropping from its prominent place in the sky. Thus, day and night were two forces that held equal in the world at that moment.

He felt a slight breeze cut through the balmy weather. It was already 60 degrees out and the air was becoming more humid.

As he slowly sat up, his body felt heavy and he wondered how he was so tired even though he could barely sleep last night. He rubbed his eyes and absentmindedly ran a hand through his hair.

The dawning of this particular day was a painful reminder for Augustus.

He loved Will and this was it. His single chance to prove it once and for all. He slowly rose to his feet, his back stiff from sleeping on the docks. He walked further and further away from the murky waters of the Thames.

A part of him suddenly wished he could find Will and dive into the cool water, reach the ocean and just swim away together.

Despite the sun blazing overhead that afternoon, Augustus felt a cold shiver of fear creep through him.

The courthouse loomed before him. The artificial happiness of pretty weather diminished any inner peace he might have had left. The rest of the world seemed so perfect. But he just couldn't relate.

He felt a fleeting sense of terror course through his body as he climbed the ominous grey steps. He paused before he opened the door. Was he really ready? Was there another way out for them?

He pushed the heavy door open, and felt an oppressive wave of heat overtake him. There sat probably half the town, many dramatically turned, staring him down as he entered the courthouse.

With ceilings that soared overhead and largely plain decor, the one-room courthouse was stark and unforgiving. There was nowhere to hide. No corner to tuck away into or shadow to remain unseen for just one more minute. He was already exposed, laid bare before everyone he'd ever cared to know.

"And who are you?" A loud voice sharply cut through the crowd.

Augustus looked up and saw the currently unhappy judge at the other end of the room, with unruly grey hair and a tight-lipped frown. He appeared to be in no mood for nonsense, with his eyes narrowed suspiciously from behind his thin spectacles.

Augustus shifted his weight and avoided his harsh gaze, nervous.

"Ahh....Augustus. Augustus Black."

"Then you're late."

Augustus shook his head slightly for a second, closing his eyes, trying to shake it off. How long had he been standing outside? He suddenly felt unprepared for something been readying himself to experience for hours.

As he walked towards the front of the room, he felt every single pair of judging eyes landing on him as heavily as possible. He assumed everyone currently present had heard Will's half of the trial yesterday. Which he assumed was painfully awkward. He chided himself again for leaving Will yesterday, but hoped he'd make up for it.

He slowly moved through the sea of eyes; and felt especially insecure when he noticed his parents, who looked anxious and bewildered. His mind raced, wondering what details they'd heard. What had Will admitted to? How in-depth were the details of their relationship, or more to the point, their sexual history? He was relieved that he had at least a moment before he had to face everyone.