Chapter 19: In Their Heart of Hearts

Part III: Summer:

"The only difference between the sinner and the saint is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~ Oscar Wilde

June

"I think we need a more direct approach," Margaret said to Francis one night after dinner. They were presently in his study, discussing Will's progress--or lack thereof--with Sarah.

"What exactly happens that doesn't work?" Francis asked, taking off his reading glasses and placing them on his desk.

"He's quieter than usual, seems nervous." She said as she sat down on a chair next to his desk. "I think he's trying. He looks at her, but just can't seem to...say anything significant."

"Perhaps the location is too different." Francis suggested, leaning back in his chair, folded hands now resting on his chest. "Maybe he'll be more comfortable if she comes here."

"Let's invite her over. She is such a lovely girl. And maybe have Lily spend some time with her. They'll be sisters one day."

"Capital suggestion." Francis agreed with a smile. "I think this will work out well."

Margaret beamed with pride when her husband complimented her. She took his hand into her own, and they smiled together.

~*~

"Oh, Sarah." Natalie said, bustling into the dining room, letter in hand. "Margaret invited you to their house."

"That sounds fun. I wonder if they have anything planned." she replied, arranging a vase of lilacs.

"I should bring them something!" she said, beaming.

~*~

So a few days later, Sarah visited Will's home for the first time. Her parent assured her they'd be over to get her by four.

She sat back in the coach, a vase of yellow roses at her side. She opened her pocket mirror, wondering what Will's family was like.

The ride was short, and her excitement built up once her carriage pulled up to the half circle driveway.

She smoothed out her light blue silk dress and made sure her hair piece was straight. She squared her shoulders and was greeted by Margaret and Will.

"These are for you." she carefully presented her vase.

"Yellow roses! How delightfully exotic." Margaret cooed, grasping the gift.

"I imagined them to be welcoming." Sarah replied.

Will approached and kissed her hand.

"I'm glad you're here."

"Aren't you as lovely as a blue jay in that dress." Margaret went on.

"Thank you!" she replied, beaming. "I designed it."

"Where did you find fabric in that colour? " Will asked linking arms to lead her inside.

"My favourite fabric shop. It's just down the way."

Lily came up first.

"Lily, this is Sarah. Sarah, this is my Lily-pad." Lily curtseyed slightly.

"Lovely to meet you at last." she said, grinning.

"Likewise."

"I thought we could start by touring the grounds." Margaret suggested. The trio went on to the back yard.