Chapter 23: Sparks

S.Harageones

Sign Out

Book 1: Burnt Bliss

Edit

Free

Updated in 2021-08-29 00:07:15

2149Words

The night had been wonderful. Will bounded into the house, carrying his copies of the Iliad and Symposium into the house along with a few other trinkets. Lily had gotten him a silver inkwell with his initials engraved on it. Mary Beth had helped Elizabeth pick out a pocket watch. But there was still one person left.

"So, since tonight is almost over."

Augustus said as he walked him upstairs. "Do you think you have time for one more present?" His voice fluttered, but tried to keep steady.

"Why, yes." Will grinned at him. "I believe I do."

They walked back to his room together and Augustus went across the room, took out something small from the desk and skittered back to Will.

"It's not much," He mused, looking down at his gift. "But I made it, so..."

He handed him a small note with a pretty wax seal, a dark red colour with a swirling pattern on the front.

"I love the seal on here."

Will carefully opened it, making sure to not ruin the seal. He unfolded the page and beheld excellent calligraphy, in a style which was much fancier than his own.

"You did this?" He breathed with a glowing awe.

"'Course."

"Augustus, this is beautiful!" He looked up, beaming.

"Your work is much better than mine. I've never been good at fancy writing. I'm too impatient. I write quick as I can to be done."

"Go on, then." Augustus stammered. "Read it."

Will cleared his throat and read aloud:

" 'To Will: Happy Sixteenth Birthdaye. I hope it finds you well. I --' "

He stopped. His eyes widened.

He silently reread the page then spoke again, in shock:

'-- I love you.

Love always,

Augustus Black' "

Will was speechless.

He stared at the page in utter amazement.

Augustus shyly met his eye line and spoke again.

"I wanted to put that in so the first time I said 'I love you' was in writing, to...show you how grateful I am."

Will looked up and was immediately drawn into his pretty eyes.

"This is amazing. And..." Will felt his heart pounding. He'd said he loved him! "I love you too."

They quickly kissed and Will broke away.

"Now, what to do with this." He fluttered playfully. "Ah yes, here we are." He practically skipped over to his journal, unlocked it, and opened to the newest page. He took up some ink and carefully wrote, reading aloud as he did:

" 'My favourite birthdaye present.' And I'll just leave it right in here."

He safely tucked it into his journal on the same page. "It's perfect. You're perfect." With that, he closed and locked his journal once again, holding it to his chest for a moment.