Chapter 24: The Writing On the Wall

17 July 1666

Quarter-To-Eleven in the Morning-

My life has been pleasantly altered, and my birth-daye was a total success!

Last night, my parents gave me a splendid party by River Wey! So many of my friends and family friends were there including...Augustus's parents! It was wonderful to see them again, and it made Augustus so happy! It truly moved me when Caroline thanked me for helping him when he was so de-pressed and she said I was "like family"!! Maurice and Alec were there as well. They looked so content to be together, just like Augustus and I.

Father's toast was very nice, I'm glad he can see I've become a man. He doesn't have to know about Augustus, but I am making my own choices, just like he said. They were very kind to give me such a splendid party; maybe things will be better with them now!

They had Sarah as a surprise guest, but suddenly, it didn't feel like a gift so much as (another) expectation. Everyone circled around us, seemed to want a sign of affection. I properly kiss'd her hand. She looked stunning! A brand new (self-designed of course,) dress with that fabric she'd bought in Italy, her hair was beautiful...but I still didn't feel anything. We hugged, and her comfort soothed me, until I opened my eyes and saw Augustus looking as unhappy as I felt.

I rush'd off, and found Uncle Deus was by the River, as he stared at the stars. He knew it was me before he turned around! Then he gave me my birthdaye presents! Two books that just might change my life.

One called Symposium which is an Ancient Greek text about the Phi-losophey of love in their culture. They would not hate us!

Achilles & Patroclus are two men who were to-gether as we are, but they're con-sidered heroes for their brave acts in a war with the Persians. A character in Symposium said that they were the ideal for a loving couple. The Iliad tells the tale of their heroic feats. He said something that touched my heart...that I should "live my life on my own terms". What an amazing, sweet thing to say; I am so grateful for him!

But the best one was what Augustus had for me. His gift was one of the sweetest things I've ever been given. He wrote me a note to wish me a happy birthdaye.....and that he loves me! I couldn't believe it! I thought I'd say it first, but no, he did.

Once I read that, and spoke it aloud, I couldn't get it out of my mind. I said I loved him too and started to wonder what that meant for our relation-ship. Did that mean anything should change?

A moment later, I looked at him for a second; he'd just taken off his shift and he looked...different than usual.

Something within me changed in that precise moment, our relation-ship felt more serious than before. Things had progressed very enjoyably in June, and my feelings were even stronger last night than they were then.

My eyes never left him as he approached me. I realised this was it. This was love. Once you're in love, you have to act in...another way to express such affections.

Once he was by my side, I watched the firelight gleam in his pretty green eyes. I kissed him softly, slowly. I pulled him closer and his body was so warm and inviting against mine.

We kept kissing and eagerly laid down. I felt his hand slowly trace along my back. I started to breathe a bit heavily and my heart sped up as he continued. What could make this feel so different than before? Maybe it was his words or his body, but before I could stop myself, I begged him for more. He just smiled and mentioned last time. The memories of such sweetness rush'd back.