3.7

Hide and seek

We all darted away from Loco who just happened to be the one counting to 25, hopefully giving us enough time to find our own hiding places.

Most of us had just finished three rounds of shots to kick the night off, so we were all on different levels of tipsy. The tainted alcohol still burning a path down my throat as I darted in and out of rooms, scanning quickly for the best places to hide.

Bingo!

Jay had one of the biggest closets I have ever seen, full to the brim with clothes and shoes and plenty of smaller compartments that I could fit in. I remember Jay showing me a door at the far end, hidden by racks upon racks of clothes and sure, it was a bit cramped but it would do.

Before I knew it, I was in the pitch-black of the secret closet in a closet, confusing, I know. I stood on a box in the corner, hoping if anyone was to find me, they wouldn't come trampling in and stamping on my toes.

I could faintly hear Loco's muffled voice now past 20, surely everyone had to be hidden by now..? Right?

WRONG!

A tall figure pushed through the closets secret door, too tall to be Jay, so who else could know about this place?

My eyes were already adjusting to the dark and his must have been adjusting too, because he caught sight of me and his eyes glimmered with something... dark? Zico.

There was less than a millimetre of space between us, no room to move without making contact and I could already feel my face heating. I was just glad it was dark enough the no one could see...

"This is my hiding place." I stated, hoping to sound stern but sounding more like a child.

"Ours now," I could practically hear his smirk. "Shall we call it home?"

"Ergh," I shrieked lightly, having nothing to say in return.

He laughed, a gentle laugh that seemed to fit him well. He pinched a lock of my hair between his finger and thumb, studying my face in the dark.

"I have always referred long-haired girls," he started. "But then I saw y-"

I threw my small dainty hand over his mouth, preventing him from saying anything more. Not because I didn't want to know what he had to say, but because someone just walked into the other closet.

Zico's smile returned as I leaned into him, still trying to stifle his speech and he took the opportunity to lay his large hands on my hips, stepping even closer towards me. Fuck. My breathing became rapid as my heart pounded, trying to break through my chest.

"No one in here?" Whispered one voice.

"Could have sworn I heard voices..." came another.

Everything went quiet outside the door, but not the good kind of silence that meant they were gone, the horrible kind where you can still feel their presence lingering. I could imagine them mouthing words to each other and signalling with their hands. They were on to us.

Only three seconds passed but it felt like a dragging eternity before the door to our hiding place flew open and a bright white flashlight spotlighted me and Zico, who may I add, jerked away as soon as the people peaked round the door. Loco and Simon had found us.

"You were the last two," Simon grinned, forcing a snicker from Loco who eyed me with amusement. "Never expected to find you together though."

"Oh, shut up!" I snarled as I stuck my tongue out at him childishly and stormed away from the trio.

Jesus Christ, please save my poor hearteu.