6.8

I try to steady my panicked breaths, dying inside as I try to breathe a little quieter, only being able to hope that I won't be heard; somewhere on the opposite side of the wall was a predator, positioned with a gun and better speed. I on the other hand had stealth and stamina in my court.

The entire area was pitch black, if it wasn't for the night-vision goggles I would be completely blind, only having a chance to move and see every time someone else's gun threw white light into the atmosphere for a split second.

To my left was a ramp, the problem was I didnt know what would be waiting for me up there... My only other option was to sprint past the opening to my right and risk being seen as I try to hide behind a broken down wall.

Option number one it was.

With a quick spurt of speed I fly up the ramp, crouched on one knee as I scan the area for enemies. All is clear; except the guy tailing me.

I could hear his heavy footsteps and uneven breaths as he searched the room I had just exited, there was no time to rest, I needed a vantage point. On the opposite side of the room was a netted curtain and part of a wall, enough room for my small frame to perch and a great spot to shoot down the opposing threat.

I only have a short time frame so I can't worry about how loud my foot steps are, as long as I get the timing right, I'm not dead.

Now!

Air whips around me, buffeting every inch of my body in an attempt to slow me down, but I push on; flying over the wall before climbing back on top.

"I've got you now!" Came a bone-rattlingly deep voice.

"I don't think you do..." A smirk.

He froze in the middle of a stride, his thought process quick but not quick enough as a bright red lazer beam shot from my gun to the target hanging on his chest. Bullseye.

He fell to one knee dramatically, a forced groan splitting the silence before he finally dropped, sprawling himself across the padded floor.

PLOT TWIST!

Yep, bet you didn't guess that you were playing Laser Quest.

Right, yeah back to the story...

The buzzer sounded, loud and clear, indicating that our time was up. The luminescent lights flickered on, lighting up the obsticle course that had seemed so much more complex when the lights were off.

Jay jumped up from his fake-death position, a smirk plastered across his face as he closed the distance between us. I welcome him with open arms as he snakes his strong arms around my waist lifting me up and spinning me in a 360° circle.

"Have you been practicing without me?" He frowned.

"No, I have always been better than you. I thought you had come to terms with this already, video games aren't the same thing."

Just as he opens his mouth to reply, a voice crackles through the overhead speakers: "Gunner 8 and 9, please return to base to return your gear."

With a sigh, Jay reluctantly sets me down on my feet and entwines his fingers in mine before marching to the base, loosening all his own gear has he went.

His eyes were hard slits and his face neutral, on the verge of 'don't fuck with me', but I could see the hint of a smile on his pink lips.

We finally reach base and he shook off all of his gear, placing it on the counter before turning to me and undoing my gear; even though I am capable of taking it off myself, I allow him to do so.

"Coffee?" He whispers in my ear just loud enough for everyone else to hear so they didn't think he said anything else.

"And a donut, or no go." I put on a pouting face and raise an eyebrow.

Jay starts to walk away, his posture radiating amusement as he says, "Okay, you're paying JT."

I begin to laugh as i stand still, he is still trotting away, but then I realise he is being serious so I race after him, drilling my knuckles into his bicep. He barks out yet another laugh, loud, dramatic and beautiful; he looks at me with sparkling, crimson-brown eyes and lays his arms around my shoulders, pulling me in closely.

His puppy dog eyes win me over and I pull some money out of my purse, "you're still going to the counter."

He slips the money into his pocket and caresses my cheek with his thumb, leaning in he kisses you on the forehead, brother-like.

"You're the best."

"I already knew that."

A smirk, "God, I adore you."