Thorin and Artemis

A/N - I just want to make a lovely shout out to my good friend Tara (Orimere) If you hadn't helped me with a few ideas in this chapter I never would have been able to make it this great :D THANKS TARA xoxoxoxo

Gold, jewels, precious items, that's what was surrounding her. Sturdy dwarven-engraved columns went on past her eye sight. Tinkling sound of rolling treasure erupted as she struggled not to fall down the mountain of coins. Struggling but failing to be quiet she started running, heart pounding and heavy breathing faint in the background.

Struggling to keep her breathing quiet, her hand covered her mouth as the mountains of gold nearby shifted, following with a morning grumble. His loud heart beat and pounding wings grew louder as she gulped. His growling voice was muffled followed by a frightened Bilbo.

Glancing back from where she was hiding, her father's sneering face drew closer to where Bilbo was standing buying his own time. Running from her hiding spot, her movement took his attention away from Bilbo, giving the hobbit enough time to vanish. She wasn't fast enough as she stumbled down a mountain of coins, before he gripped her in his claws.

"Your love and caring has weakened you!" He sneered, squeezing her as she cried out feeling her bones starting to break. Crying out he laughed throwing her hard against the wall, as she slumped weakly looking up to see him stalking forward. Suddenly the treasure room began melting away and so did he as Artemis felt her body dying.

"No regrets" Wanda's voice echoed.

"We make our own fate"

"Then I don't know anyone more deserving...."

"You betrayed me!" His loud strong voice shouted as Artemis weakly glanced up to see him looking towards her angrily.

"Thorin..." Her voice was weak, barely able to hold on to the break of life as he stalked towards her.

"You're his daughter! To think I that I was stupid enough to trust you! Did you really think I loved you? That I would stoop so low! How could I ever care for a monster like you! You make me feel sick!" His voice shouted as Artemis felt her heart breaking and shattering into tones of pieces.

Waking up bolt up in bed, her face was wet with tears, her uneven breathing turning to painful gasps. She felt broken; her hands trailed over her cheeks, confused at how one person could cry so much over words. It was only then did she truly realise Wanda was right - she could care, she could love. And she was in love with Thorin Oakenshield. The daughter of his enemy, as she knew it could never be, causing her to cry even harder.

Throwing the sheets off her bed, the thin light red fabric of her nightgown fell over her body. It was strapless and it blew in the wind as she dipped her quill in the ink bottle and started writing, rubbing her eyes and gulping back more tears she signed the parchment, before sealing it. Noticing a small bottle with a dragon mouth cap, she grabbed it, opening it; she filled the bottle with her tears as they streamed down her face.

*************

The deserted halls, echoed with memories of the past. He watched as he saw his father and grandfather in the throne room once again, the Arkenstone shining brightly above the throne. He watched holding his arm up instinctively as flames washed over the room. The endless pile of gold was occupied with the large flaming red dragon Smaug as he smirked down at Thorin as he felt his breath catch in his throat.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror, back to Erebor. The ruins of your once magnificent city" The words teased him as he felt his blood run cold. Orcist in his hand, he turned to find Artemis smirking as she walked towards him smirking before walking past and towards her father as he smirked down at her.

"Artemis?" He breathed unable to comprehend what he was seeing.

"Did you really think I cared for you and your stupid company? Did you honestly think I would kill my own father! Give up all this?" She asked pointing towards the treasure as Smaug was laughing deeply, but Thorin didn't care. He looked at her hurt and betrayed as she just laughed darkly.

"You think I'm that stupid? You will never! Be King! Under the Mountain!" She shouted at him as he felt his heart break and shatter into pieces, he lunged his sword towards her, tears threatening to spill over, causing his vision to blur. She easily dodged his strikes with her blade, before she knocked him over on his back, as the sword flung from his grip. He paused as he watched her trace his jaw line with the tip of her sword.

"Sweet dreams" Her voice haunted him before she plunged her sword straight through his chest.

Gasping and holding his chest, Thorin panted before he got control over his breathing. He gave a great sigh of relief when he realised it was just a dream, though it felt so real. Her words haunted him. As he got out of bed, he could see it was still dark, the moonless night sparkling with stars like diamonds. The cool breeze on his face as he rubbed his face before leaving his room for some air.

He kept walking until he reached the balcony; he paused as he saw Artemis arms rubbing her forearms. The wind gently blowing the long fabric and her hair. Her features captured in the night as he sucked in a breath and turned to leave.

"Don't go" Her voice was no more than a whisper. He heard her voice cracking from her plea as he slowly walked towards her; she was in dwarf height as he was a full head taller than her as he noticed her cheeks glistened from evident tears. He hadn't realised how close they were standing as his fingers could easily brush past hers as he watched her closely taking in her beautiful face, as if something was telling him he wouldn't ever get another chance.

"Couldn't sleep?" Her voice was soft as it melted straight through him.

"Bad dreams" He spoke truthfully as she gave a sad smile.

"Same here" She sighed deeply; he watched her flinch slightly as she recalled the painful feeling of dying before her shoulders relaxed.

"Thorin I...." She stumbled slightly before she turned to face him, their eyes connected as she could feel his warm breath travelling down to her cheeks, before she glanced down at her fingers which she hadn't noticed she was playing with.

"I never got to say thank you for what you did for me.....for saving me" She thanked before looking up at him to see him giving her a sweet smile as she felt her breathing hitch in her throat. Thorin took her hand in his only to feel them shaking, as he frowned before looking back at her.

"You're shaking?" He whispered confused as she gave a small gulp, her eyes never leaving his. Artemis flushed, her cheeks like flame against the wind. Thorin's voice only worsened her trembling.

"It's.....cold" she murmured apologetically looking down. She couldn't lie to his face as Thorin casted a doubtful look, but still proceeded to stand back and strip himself of his thick fur coat. Artemis barely had time to protest before the warm coat was placed around her shoulders. The thick garment still radiated the dwarf's heat as it swam on her shoulder.

"Thorin...." Artemis stated before trailing off. It was only then that Thorin saw the exhaustion in her eyes, there were faint trails of vulnerability and fear lurking in the depths of those beautiful irises. "Thank you".

Artemis leant against the stone balcony looking at her feet as Thorin beside her rested his palms on the smooth marble. Thorin glanced down at their hands only inches apart as he could see Artemis was still shaking rather badly before he sighed deeply, hung his head, before looking up at the sky.

"What's actually wrong Artemis?" His soft concerned voice made her bit her lip. She was nervous and frightened. She had never felt this way before and it scared her even more.

"I'm scared" She whispered truthfully as Thorin frowned and looked at her. It took him by surprise as he considered Artemis to be one of the bravest he has ever known.

"Scared?" He asked her softly unsure he heard her correctly.

"Yes I'm terrified" She snapped suddenly glaring up at him as he could her eyes flashed red around the rims before she sighed and rubbed her face, before turning to look out at her Kingdom as Thorin's gaze never left hers.

"I'm scared of my father.....I never thought I would have to worry about returning to the mountain once I escaped. I guess I expected that I could stay on the run forever.....I fear for what he will say and what he will do when he realises that I have been spending these last couple of months with a company of dwarves who wish to reclaim Erebor. And the company.....we attract trouble like bees to honey" She chuckled as Thorin gave a soft smirk as her words sunk in.

"I never thought I would be blessed with the ability to care, let alone love.....I care for everyone even you...." She spoke blushing slightly as she gave him a short smile.

"I know I'm your daughter's enemy in your eyes.....but I fear for you Thorin......I fear that when we get closer to the Mountain....to the gold....I fear you will fall to the same sickness, and I know your concerned about it to.....I've never been this afraid Thorin....of anything or anyone. I'd happily take a plunge into the ocean then feel this fear....and that's what frightens me most...." She whispered as a sudden tear slipped down her cheek. Thorin let his hand slowly brushed it away as his hand lingered on her soft skin as he noticed she was no longer shaking.

Their eyes met, no words were spoken, their bodies barely touching as his hand rested on her cheek. Her words flowed through his brain as he could see the fear in her eyes. This was the first and only time he had ever seen Artemis so vulnerable, as he brushed a strand piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Then maybe you should stay" He whispered as Artemis's eyes snapped up at him as he couldn't look at her. She felt her heart break as Thorin was practically pushing her away and asking her to leave the company.

"What?" She asked breathless as Thorin took a step backwards. He couldn't let his own feelings cloud his judgement.

"Maybe you should stay. Your place is here with your people and my place is with my people.....in Erebor...." He trailed as she looked up at him hurt. He gave a shaky sigh before he turned to leave.

"Thorin!" Her soft voice called out as he stopped. Her soft footsteps grew louder as she now stood in front of him, her hands on his chest as she looked up at his face. His heartbeat grew faster from her close contact.

"Look me in the eye and tell me you don't want me to be a part of the company. Then and only then will I stay" Her voice pleaded softly as he turned his head away from her. He could lie to her face, not anymore.

"I can't" He whispered as her hand reached up to his cheek and turned him back to look at her.

"Then why do you send me away" Her voice cracked a little as his hands with a will of their own wrapped around her waist pulling her closer towards him, as he couldn't speak. He didn't trust his voice as their eyes were glued on each other.

"....but your people..." He tried to reason as she cut him off.

"I'm not asking about duty Thorin.....I'm asking if you want me to stay" She whispered, her heart leaping for an answer as he continued to look into her eyes. They captivated him as he had to fight every muscle in his body not to lean down at kiss her.

"Yes" He whispered as her heart was screaming as she could help but let a small smile escape on her lips as she felt him shudder from the cold before she took a step back. This broke Thorin slightly as he ached for her to be in his arms as she took of his coat and placed it back on Thorin's shoulders as he frowned.

"I don't feel the cold anyways. Monster remember?" She chuckled slightly glancing down at the ground as he took another step closer.

"I never believed that for a second....goodnight your majesty" He whispered in her ear before planting a soft kiss on her cheek and leaving to retire for the rest of the evening as she felt her body willing to explode. Her hands trailed to her cheek as she smiled brightly before it faded quickly.

"How touching" A dangerous voice snarled as she turned to a see her father, when he was prince surrounded by flames as if a ghost as she stumbled backwards against the wall with a small squeak. He floated on air before grasping her by her throat snarling darkly as she could actually feel his tight grip as she coughed for air. He muttered words to her sending fear in her heart as her eyes slowly closed just as Thorin came back round the corner.

Dropping Artemis to the ground Thorin ran over to see she was alright before he saw the firey ghost vanish. Her breathing was slow as he carried her back to her room and laid her down on her silky bed. She was slightly conscious as she gripped on Thorin's arm before he could leave.

"Stay" Her voice croaked as Thorin shrugged off his coat and boots before lying down beside her. She rolled over, her head on his chest, snuggled into his side. At first Thorin stiffened before relaxing as he stroked her hair as she slept deeply. He noticed the bruises forming around her throat as he kissed her hair and fell himself falling into a deep slumber.......