Mirkwood Part 2

As they continued their journey throughout the forest Artemis's thoughts and heart seemed to grow darker. Bilbo noticed her joyful spirit drift from her eyes and was replaced with something that made him shiver in fear. She grew angrier and less patient, as she fought to keep up her perfect facade but the longer she remained in the forest the harder it was. She soon seemed to be snapping her head to the side as if to shake water from her ears, or in her case the dark voice that made her shudder.

The company had gotten away from the path another four times, which made Artemis weaker as they relied on her and Sofus to guide them back again. There was no movement of air down under the forest-roof, and it was everlastingly still and dark and stuffy. Thorin had noticed that when Artemis slept she would growl as if she remained in her dragon form. Her hands would curl as if they were her claws and the dug into the ground. When they walked he noticed that she constantly rubbed her dragon scar on her hand as if it was infected.

As they kept walking the nastiest things they saw were the cobwebs: dark dense cobwebs with threads extraordinarily thick, often stretched from tree to tree, or tangled in the lower branches on either side of them. There were none stretched across the path, but whether because some magic kept it clear, or for what other reason they could not guess.

It had been six days since they had seen any form of daylight as they came to a part where most of the trees were beeches. They were at first inclined to be cheered by the change, for here there was no undergrowth and the shadow was not so deep. There was a greenish light about them, and in places they could see some distance to either side of the path. Yet the light only showed them endless lines of straight grey trunks like the pillars of some huge twilight hall. There was a breath of air and a noise of wind, but it had a sad sound. A few leaves came rustling down to remind them that outside autumn was coming on.

Trudging along soon the company was once again misguided and strayed from the path as they all turned frantic to search for it again. Artemis groaned as she leant her back against a tree and slid down it towards the floor. Her world spun, voice seemed to blur and her vision kept doubling then tripling. Her strength was leaving her the thick air of the forest was suffocating her and her body couldn't mend or fight against it, without being in fresh air for days.

Dwalin was about to demand she find the path again until he saw her against the tree. She was struggling to keep her eyes open and she feared of what would happen to her if she did. The dark voice kept chanting out at her as she tried to get to her feet only to stumble back onto her knees.

It wasn't long before all their words start to blur with the next persons. Soon they start walking further and further and spider webs beginning to grow. Bilbo in a daze plucks one web. Sending vibrations throughout the forest, he does it once more. Before they all keep walking once more. Their minds begin to play tricks on them, and they think their seeing doubles. Ori finds a small satchel and picks it up.

"Look, there are dwarves in these woods"

"Dwarves from the blue mountains this is the exactly the same as mine" Bofur spoke as he examined the pouch which actually did belong to him.

"Cause it is yours....don't you understand? We're going round in circles. We are lost" Bilbo questioned, he was the only one who seemed to have some sense left.

"We are not lost. We're heading east" Thorin grumbled.

"But which way is east? We've lost the sun" Artemis snapped as they glared at each other. Their love was being used to full their anger, as Artemis was dangerously close to letting a monster loose. Artemis grew defensive as her body smelled and sensed danger, though her eyes refused to show anything.

"Well what do you propose?" He snarled towards her as she growled dangerously and fire sparked by her fingers making him step back. He frowned as she suddenly began to cackle with laughter and smirk darkly towards him.